Sunday, October 29, 2023

 The longest of days, literally. I’m exhausted and have retreated to writing with the iPad. No knitting, either. The picture of that happy, relocated cat will have to wait a day.

 One of you has suggested writing to Brooklyn Tweed about that picture of Norah Gaughan in a covetable striped cardigan. I’ll do that this evening. I am desperate for something at least semi-mindless.

  Helen and David came to lunch.  Both were in good form. Wafa did us proud. 

  We baked the sourdough we were working on all day yesterday. Very successful.

  Wordle: I surprised myself with a three. I keep a record of each day’s word and its score. Like many Wordlers, I find I can’t remember the day’s answer ten minutes later. Today, the iPad spelling checker disapproved of it. Mark, Ketki and Roger shared my score. Roger added a note to say that WordleBot regarded his success as mostly skill, not luck. Alexander, Thomas and Rachel were the fours. Poor Theo needed five.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:03 PM

    About that striped cardigan. I loved it too so I spent some time researching. I found it in an Instagram account @norahgn. You will need to scroll down to a bit to see it in an entry dated March 3, 2020 and it references her spindle-spun yarn. Scroll down further and you’ll find a photo of a beautiful pile of yarn she spun with multicolored roving using a Turkish drop spindle. Norah recommended the Turkish spindle and said she is going to write a pattern for the cardigan.

    Annie, California

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love knitting with self patterning tarn. Following your comments about bright colours in the darker months I'm knitting shocking pink/yellow and other mad coloured socks. I've got Arne and Carlos trad Norwegian heel off by heart so this will be my third pair. We've spent the weekend in a holiday cottage (a tower in the grounds of an estate) with low light levels in sitting room so the sock was perfect as reading near impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I'm making a really nice, colourful scarf using a single 100g ball of Orion by Lang. I cast on 30 stitches on 6mm needles and am doing bands of 4 rows of garter stitch interspersed with ten rows of various textured stitches such as moss stitch and double moss stitch. Three people have requested the finished scarf so far. You can be as repetitive or creative as you like. It's not exactly a stash buster as I had to buy the ball of yarn, but it's fun. You can do the same thing with Lang cloud or probably any other colourful thicker yarn. I like that these Lang options are very light weight at over 270 metres to the 100g ball, but they knit up as Aran or bulky. Also it's a soft and non itchy fabric to wear. Some of the colourways are bolder than they look in the pictures on some websites, it is worth looking at more than one.

    ReplyDelete