Tuesday, October 31, 2023

 

Not too bad a day. Helen came, after driving David to the airport. He’ll be back fairly soon.

 

I decided that the thing to do was to resume the “EPS in random Shetland stripes” which has been in my UFO list over there for a long, long time. The first job was finding it. Wafa has rearranged the sitting room, and pulled the television forward a bit, so it proved easy to get me to the stash cupboard. Not so easy to find what I was looking for. In my day, the sitting room was festooned with project bags. Wafa has gathered them up and filled them with stray balls of yarn where there was room to spare. We found the striped EPS in fairly good order, but I am not at all sure of the balls of yarn with it.

 

Basically, however, the yarn is from Uradale Farm on Shetland. None of the balls had retained its band, but mercifully memory supplied the name. A visit to Uradale was part of the Shetland trip I did – one of Misa Hay’s tours. I seem to have a range of yellows, browns and greens. The accents are missing, although present in the partly-knit tube. I ordered more today, and resumed knitting.

 

The random stripes are three rounds each. I think perhaps I embarked on this after knitting the Dathan haps. For those, the rows are either two or four or six rows each, so you have to choose a size as well as a random colour for each stripe. I found it agonizing, and I am pretty sure that that’s why I have settled for three-round stripes here. Now I hope I can find the four precious copies of Knitter’s magazine in which Meg deconstructs the EPS.

Wordle: It looked for quite a while today as if this might, at last, be my dream-day in which we all score the same: Thomas, Alexander, Ketki, Rachel, Theo and I all scored four. Roger, alas, spoiled it with a five, and Mark hasn’t been heard from. My starters provided me with a brown vowel each. It was very hard – as always, in similar situations – to think of any qualifying word, because the starters have eliminated so many good consonants.  When I got one, line three, it gave me three greens in positions two, three and four. It wasn’t too difficult to get from there to the answer.

4 comments:

  1. Mary Lou9:46 PM

    I saw the photo of you on Instagram withe the EPS sweater. If you can’t find the Vogue Knitting I may have scanned it, let us know. Sounds like the perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:48 PM

    I'm so glad you found a project that you enjoyed and are able to finish without much hassle. The photo of Paradox from yesterday definitely shows that she's adapted to her new home and is thriving. That makes a win/win situation for Perdita and Paradox both. Take care - Joe-inWyoming

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:03 AM

    I for sure still have those issues…and my other thought is that it must also be in one of the books. I’ll look later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:29 PM

    Hi Jean. There is a tutorial on the Knit Pick’s website (tutorials.knitpicks.com) called “Elizabeth’s Percentage System”. It gives a good explanation and also a list of other places to find the information, including several of EZ’s books which I’m sure you have (Knitter’s Almanac, Knitting Around (also streaming video and dvd) and , Knitting Without Tears, Knitting Workshop and The Opinionated Knitter).
    Theres also a listing/page in Ravelry, titled: EPS - Elizabeth’s Percentage System Sweater which also lists the locations for the “pattern”.
    Hope this helps,
    Lynda (in Massachusetts)

    ReplyDelete