Saturday, November 25, 2023

 Cold. That’s what it is.

   Thank you for your comments. I think you have established that bread sauce is not commonplace in the USofA. It is essentially bread crumbs soaked until they swell in warm, seasoned milk with a generous addition of butter. In these days of Google, it shouldn’t be hard to find a recipe. Delicious. Alexander and Ketki were here today. She is American, and agrees thatwe don’t have bread sauce and that it is one of the best things about Christmas. She, also, gives a slight edge to cranberry sauce.

   Two pieces of (mild) excitement today:

   (1) I started reading Robert Galbraith’s (=JK Rowling’s) new thriller, The Running Grave, because it was so highly recommended in some newspaper as a book-of-the-year. I’m enjoying it. I thought the last Cormoran Strike book was a bit flat. Had she run out of steam? This one, so far, is back on form. 

   (2) The yarn for Spalding arrived from Brooklyn Tweed. (That was quick.) I had told you I was hovering, but hadn’t mentioned that I succumbed because I felt rather guilty about it.

   The yarn is beautiful, I still love the pattern, but a first horrified glance-over made me wonder whether I was capable of it. It’s top-down, and begins with some slightly fancy yoke shaping. I’ll feel braver in the morning.

Wordle: Three for Ketki and Roger. Four for Thomas, Alexander and Mark. Five for Theo and Rachel and I. WordleBot was kind enough to say that I was unlucky in my fourth-row choice.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Now you have me wanting to take a look at the pattern, Jean, to see what you mean by slightly fancy. But BT patterns are too expensive to just take a look. So I guess the standard “take it one step at a time” might be the best approach. As I keep telling Myself. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou3:36 PM

    No need to feel guilty! It's a cold few months ahead. I find the BT patterns a bit wordy, but step-by-step should get you going. I was disappointed in the last Cormoran Strike book as well, so I may take a look at this one.

    ReplyDelete