Monday, November 27, 2023

 My friend of 70 years, Sylvia Huntley Horowitz, writes a private blog, available only to subscribers. She is avyear old than I am — we met at Oberlin. But much more active. She lives alone with her cat Frankie, but family lives nearby and she sees them frequently. She hosts a Sabbath meal almost every Friday, for family and occasional rabbis. A five-mile walk every week with fellow-retired-faculty from the local university. And much else. The last message I had from her was on Saturday. Thanksgiving had been cleared away, the good plates washed and dried by hand and carefully replaced in their cupboard. Then a substantial party went out to an Indian restaurant to celebrate her great-grandson Mendel’s second birthday. He cheerfully ate Indian food, Sylvia reported.

  Then in the next few hours she fell and hit her head and had a stroke — I do not know the sequence of those events — and died in hospital a few hours later.

   I am shaken, and very sad. It is, for Sylvia, a very enviable death. But for me another black day in a black season. We've just had my husband’s birthday. We are a couple of days away from the anniversary of saddest day in my family history.  

 I failed at Wordle today, which seems rather appropriate. I achieved grn, grn, ???, ???, grn by line 3, and persistently guessed wrong. Mark had that configuration too, for a while, but shook himself out of it in time to score six. Five for Alexander and Thomas. Four for Rachel, Ketki, Theo and Roger.

18 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Grief is so very hard, I do know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:02 PM

    I am so sorry; my condolences on your loss. This has been a trying year; hold close to those who are dear to you. Bonnie aka Knitsiam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jean, when this time of year is so full of hard memories the dark days and cold weather can make everything feel much worse. I hope there are some little moments in the next few days to help you through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:36 PM

    So sorry for the loss of your friend, all the more difficult coming at this dark time of year and so close to other difficult anniversaries. My condolences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss, Jean. She lived life to the full and to the end. Who could wish for more? But sad for those left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:38 PM

    I'm so sorry to hear that you lost a dear, dear friend. Especially close to other sad anniversaries. May happy memories of fun times shared with her - or shared by her, such as this Thanksgiving - help ease the sorrow and pain. blessings. - Joe-inWyoming

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:44 PM

    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It is hard to lose the strong connections we have.
    (Loretta)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Condolences, dear Jean, on getting this sad news at such a dark (in so many ways) time of year. She sounds so interesting and lively. As you say, enviable but hard on others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:06 AM

    Jean - so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Wishing the light returns for all of us (in the northern hemisphere) soon. And sending some extra light and good wishes your way. ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. It is always hard, but especially at this time of the year. Sending you love and light

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw a picture of you knitting somewhere and have been reading along on your blog for the last month. I looked up wordless and played yesterday and today. It was hard today. I got the word on line 5. So sorry for this hard seasoning your life. Loss is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:17 AM

    May your memories carry you through the hard times. Loss is difficult but a human condition. Hugs and condolences to help you cope.
    weavinfool

    ReplyDelete
  14. =Tamar9:17 AM

    I'm sorry for your losses. We look to the light.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:12 AM

    I am so sorry and send deepest condolences. May your memories bring you comfort.

    Annie in California

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Maybe you can be comforted by knowing that she had a life well-lived, Jean. I am always saddened by a classmate’s death even when I barely knew them, so I can imagine your grief. But as Tamar says look to the light - all your beautiful family in the present and a beautiful sister-like memory that not everyone gets to have. Hope this - and all the kind condolences - helps. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1:12 PM

    I'm so sorry for your loss, Jean. Eileen in Chapel Hill

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary Lou3:42 PM

    Sending love and light your way. I am sorry for the loss of a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete