Saturday, November 04, 2023

The weather was marginally less awful today, with even a few shafts of winter sunshine. Helen came. We got some financial chores done. She is worried about the new neighbour who appeared on the scene yesterday with a leak. I am not, as explained yesterday. We still don’t know whether Wednesday’s stormy rain penetrated the bathroom below our Downstairs Lavatory. 

And i’ve knit on. I’ve measured — there are only about 10” and I want 15 or so before I start fussing about armholes. I’ve got about 285 stitches and, as I said, a circumference takes a long time. I accomplished about an inch today.

Helen left her dog Farouk with us today. Wafa likes dogs better than cats and enjoyed taking him for walks.

I haven’t found anything to read since Osman. In fact, I feel rather more droopy than weather and season would entirely dictate. One of the many great things about reading on line — I have a Kindle app on my beloved iPad — is that you don’t have an accusing pile of half-read books in a corner of the room.

 Wordle: A toughish one again today. Mark scored three. Rachel needed five. Four for all the rest of us.








10 comments:

  1. A friend recommended "A Lady's Guide to Fortune-hunting" by Sohie Irwin. It's froth, but I have to say I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading 'A winter away' by Elizabeth Fair' and 'Death in Delft' by Graham Brack. The latter is a CJ Ssnsom type myster, but set in Delft in 17th century. Both books are slyly amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar9:29 AM

    I'm afraid I have very different preferences in reading matter, so I have no suggestions for you.
    I think an inch knitted on the circumference is a perfectly respectable effort. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar9:32 AM

    I have very different choices of reading matter, so I have no suggestions for you.
    An inch of circumference is a respectable amount.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar9:33 AM

    Now why didn't the first version show up before? hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Winds of War" by Herman Wouk might interest you. I am re-reading it after many, many years and getting more out of it this time around. It's a hefty tome even in paperback so it would be great on your kindle.
    Cheers for your inches of knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would this be the sort of thing for easy-peasy knitting in stripes? The All Stripes Sweater by Sylvia Watts-Cherry on Raveley. I saw it on some blog post about using up stash and knitting a madly stripy jumper, not following the stripes on the pattern but going rogue and random.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The figurine by Victoria Hislop, set in England and Greece, for a bit of light reading. Philhellene

    ReplyDelete
  9. dawninnl9:51 PM

    The Edinburgh Skating Club, by Michelle Sloan is an easy read, but very interesting and humorous. Set in 2 timelines 1795 and present day. I presented it at a book club and it was well received with a good discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lou2:45 PM

    A book I really enjoyed recently is The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century. I read it on a recommendation from a woman I met at weaving camp, and found it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete