Tuesday, November 14, 2023

 Dreadful November weather, grey and spitting with rain. Helen and Daniella — my former cleaner/carer — came to lunch. Both well. Daniella has a family of her own and can’t provide the live-in care I now need.

I feel droopy, and Wafa says I seem below par. 

Wafa insisted on doing the sourdough by herself. She had baked it before I appeared  in the kitchen at 7 a.m. It tastes nice, but again lacks oven spring and since I was excluded from the process at several crucial points, I am no nearer diagnosing the trouble. I know that the starter was lively. Helen took half of the bread home. 

Some knitting, not much.

A certain amount of discussion about getting me to Helen’s house on Christmas day. As recently as June (I think) I used to go to Mass with C. every week, descending the six steps outside my door by holding on tight to the railing with one hand and to C.’s hand with the other. Everybody says I am not strong enough to do that any more. The current thought is that I could be bumped down (and up) in my wheelchair by strong men, of which Helen has a good supply. 

You’re right, Mary Lou, that homemade are the best Christmas presents. I have but rarely, in a long life, allowed myself to knit presents. These dark, wet days are bad enough without adding nervous tension. There have been exceptions, including the memorable Christmas when I knit everybody a hat. 

Wordle: a true stinker today. I scored six, which was no disgrace — Roger, Theo, and Alexander failed. Five for Rachel and Mark, four for Ketki and Thomas (the stars of the day). I didn’t think much of the word, either. 

7 comments:

  1. I was surprised when my word was accepted, fully expecting it to be rejected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:06 AM

    Me too, didn't like today's word although I got it in four. I'm having to think through my options and try to be in some kind of NYT mindset when deciding what to enter. Is it because I'm not American? Too old?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:07 AM

    Last comment was Beth - having trouble signing in with my Google account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having the same thoughts as Beth and ElizabethD about wordle; I really didn't expect m y last try to be accepted as a real word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar9:47 AM

    Does "oven spring" refer to the bread's having a soft texture inside? I think sourdough tends to be a little stiffer. Possibly a bit more oil or butter or whatever you use for shortening would help make it more tender.

    I heard that Wordle has contributed to improvements in clear thinking among some players. Maybe I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:36 PM

      Oven spring refers to the rise the bread gets shortly after going into the hot oven, usually with the lid on. Some people like to spray water onto the loaf or add a couple of ice cubes to the bottom of the pan, next to the l loaf.
      There’s no butter or other fat added to a sourdough loaf. Ingredients are usually just starter, flour, water and salt.
      Lynda

      Delete
  6. Mary Lou3:58 PM

    When I taught my then 9 year old goddaughter to knit one November, she told me she was going to knit all of her Christmas presents. About an hour later, she said she realized that if she wanted to knit all of her Christmas presents she would have to start right then for next Christmas! Welcome to the world of knitting!

    ReplyDelete