Thursday, March 15, 2018


I had a fine day at the EYF, and am very tired. Several of you spoke to me, which was wonderful. I met Christine by arrangement in the Podcast Lounge after my morning class – she was waiting for me with a sandwich and a bottle of water. Life-saving!

We admired Andrew and Andrea from afar, and then Christine went off to her afternoon class and I actually spoke to them, briefly, when they had finished talking to Nancy Marchant. They are taller than I expected, and every bit as good-looking and pleasant as we had all concluded some time ago.

I had my valuable Pupil’s Hour in the marketplace first thing in the morning, before the hoi polloi are admitted. I got the colours I needed for Alexander’s vest, and looked around a bit.

I was the dunce of my drop-spinning class, as I fully expected, but I enjoyed it very much and learned something, as I had hoped, about how yarn works. It is interesting to think of Primitive Man, eyeing a sheep, and thinking, now, if we just sheer this stuff off and wash and comb it, we could perhaps figure out how to add some twist which would make it strong enough to weave or even knit…It's almost as magical as wine-making.

I didn’t buy any other yarn. Tiredness was beginning to pile in by the time I got back to the market in the afternoon. I was hoist by my own petard on the yards-per-gram thing. The Brooklyn Tweed website gives its Arbor yarn, on the page about Gudrun’s Kirigami pattern, as 145 yards to 50 grams, and that’s what I had written down.

Loop was there, but hadn’t brought Arbor, which they stock in abundance. I wandered around looking at other possibilities. They were all identified as metres per 50 or 100 grams. And I didn’t even have my telephone with me, which could presumably have translated.

But then common sense kicked in, augmented by exhaustion. Did I really want to spend more than £100 on wool I might never get around to knitting, which “would do” for this pattern? When I’m ready to knit, I can order the wool, from Loop. So I called a taxi and went home.

The kitchen is progressing well. It’s got lots of units now, but still lacks water. The cats had bullied or charmed a tradesman into letting them out of the dining room, and were enjoying their day in charge. I've finished tying off the ends on the inside of Ketki's scarf, and have picked up stitches at the other end and started to knit some ribbing to finish it off. Picture tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. I had a good giggle just now thinking about primitive men oggling sheep for their fleece:) only, they had it far easier, because primitive sheep lost their fleece without shearing! they "just" had to collect the moulted fibres, no need to shear the poor things with stone "knives":)
    have fun tomorrow - and hopefully with a shiny new kitchen as well - soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:32 PM

    Sounds like a lovely day! Glad you got on so well, and that Progress was made on the kitchen without you having to endure it.

    Beverly in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:27 PM

    I felt fortunate to see you! It made my day. Karen Wong

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ho! Primitive man or primitive woman? I have seen it said that the most revolutionary early invention ws string.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't quit thinking about the EYF. I'm so glad you went and saw the Fruity Knitting stars. Rest, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:33 AM

    So glad you enjoyed your day and managed to get up close to Andrea and Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect day, especially without the yarn purchase of something that "might" work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful! The latest Fruity Knitting with their daughter is a visual feast.
    Surely early man/woman would have started out with skins, from kills? I suppose trial and error would have led them to realise that twisting and plying gave the fibres strength, perhaps for ties to bind things. However it happened, spindle whorls have been found in very early sites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:28 AM

    What a fun time! I have often thought about linen the way you just surmised the origins of wool yarn. How do you accidentally rot flax, notice the fibrous strands from the result, and then it suddenly pops into your head: Linen! Not quite so easy a jump, of course, but still ingenious. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe grab some stalks to tie around something and notice that they had to be cut when you went to undo the bundle? I like to think of stuff like that too .

      Delete