Wednesday, March 14, 2018


That was even worse. The fuse box had to be changed, which meant that the electricity was off all afternoon, until nearly seven. Not too bad at first, but at the end – no heat, no light, no television, no computer, and if there had been, no wi-fi. And the iPad was low on battery. I sat there wrapped in a blanket feeling sorry for myself.

Shandy, I am sure I am not going to work my way around the house with renovations, when this is over. The central heating boiler was condemned and sealed off yesterday by a zealous young gas fitter. Something will have to be done about that.

The cats are bearing up well, although agitated (as am I). They don't have to be confined to the dining room except when quantities of things are being carried in or out. I'll leave them there tomorrow when I go to the EYF. They are puzzled by the banging and sounds of men's voices, and rush into the kitchen at the end of the day to assess progress.

And progress there is, although I am still without water. And Ketki’s Calcutta Cup scarf is progressing, too. I decided I had done enough corrugated rib, and have finished off one end, as planned. It is now inside out, having the loose ends tightened and knotted and cut. I think I remember hearing from Hazel Tindall herself that she ties and cuts the ends on the inside of a Fair Isle sweater, unless she is actually preparing it for an exhibition.

And in this case, the knots will be sealed inside. I am about 5/8ths of the way through the job.

The Soutache, by the way, is waiting for a final, gentle steaming before I sign it off.

Fortunately I prepared for the EYF first thing this morning, while still feeling in high spirits. I’m all set, except for not know how much of each colour to buy for Alexander’s vest. It doesn’t matter – Jamieson & Smith will send any necessary augmentation promptly.

Has the endearing hybrid “yards per 100 grams” established itself on both sides of the Atlantic as the way to describe yarn? I have noted those figures against the names of yarns specified by my fancied patterns, in case I want to attempt substitutions.

Elizabeth, I am sorry not to have seen you at Kathy’s Knits. Please say hello if you see me tomorrow. I’ll be at the market, I hope, for that preliminary hour before my morning lesson, and in the afternoon while strength suffices. I’ll carry my New Yorker tote bag, which has the advantage of being printed on both sides.

I’ll wear my “Never Underestimate an Old Woman Who Went to Oberlin” sweat shirt. Last year there was another Oberlin woman (not as old) in Hazel Tindall’s class, an extraordinary coincidence.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear! Not a good time of the year to be without heat and light in the evening.
    I don't know whether you follow Mason Dixon knitting? I was amused by the notion of parties crossing the Atlantic to attend the EYF. I would be envious but I usually find the crowds oppressive at such events after a very short time. You will have the satisfaction of being away from the chaos for a while at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jean! I will say hello to you if I see you. I expect to be there all day, wandering awestruck, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the EYF, well timed to have you out of the house. Yards per 100 grams? That’s worthy of Canada, with our constant stretch between the old empire and the new. I’ve never seen it here, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look several times at "yards per 100 grams" to see why it was odd or endearing. Will the US ever adapt the metric system? So much yarn, US included, is sold by 50 or 100 gram skeins, that it makes sense to do it that way. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete