Tuesday, March 19, 2019


A pretty good day. I had an early appt with the dentist (routine, expensive cleaning), straight up Dublin Street. “Up” means “up”, in that case. I thought that might do for exercise, but later in the morning went out for my walk as usual.

And on with the Dathan. I have corralled another 25 stitches on each side, 450 altogether, plus 5 in the central spine. We’re getting there.

I remembered that I have some super-long circular needles. They’re left over from the Dunfallandy blankie of a couple of years ago. For the edging of that one, I had to pick up all the stitches all the way around, all at once. That required three super-longs (150 cm), I think -- two for picking up, one for knitting with. But they are 3mm needles, and I am knitting on a 3.25.

Maybe that would do. “Knitting is forgiving stuff”: EZ. But in the end I ordered a 3.25 from Meadow Yarns, and paid for first class postage, and have had an email from them saying that it has been dispatched. So maybe tomorrow, and in any case I ought to be able to struggle on.

Alexander phoned. He says that his son Thomas, not long after the final whistle, asked what this year’s Calcutta Cup knitting was going to be, and claimed it for himself. I feel touched and flattered. I told Alexander to ask him his feelings about a long squishy cabled scarf. I need to know by Friday.

“Foldlines” is sinking further and further below the horizon. I never expected Calcutta Cup knitting in 2019. I will look at Jared’s “Arbor” yarn at the EYF, but won’t buy. The scarf will be expensive enough, and I will also be hunting for a good sock yarn for Mary Lou’s baby pattern – the ’19 Calcutta Cup is now history, it'll wait for me, but great-grandchildren don’t stand still.

I think I referred to it with a feminine pronoun the other day. But I don’t know what it is. I just said that because all my great-grandchildren are girls. Hellie, when she rang up to tell me the news, said that the scan-operator refused to tell her.

Reading

“Lady Anna” is a rather glum book so far, but I can’t stop now.

5 comments:

  1. I am finding This House of Brede a wonderful read. I have quite caught up with the Lenten Meditations because it is so gripping that I have sped onward.
    Mary Lou, in case you did not see my reply to your mention of reading A Gentleman in Moscow, be sure to watch Casablanca before you get to the end of the book. And please let me know how you are liking it.
    Jean, your readers add to my enjoyment of your blog! And I am cheered that you seem to have more energy today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, I am wondering where "The Girls" are in yesterday's photo - I cannot believe they allowed you and/or Archie to crawl around on the floor without being there to help! I hope it will not be too difficult to repair the holes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Just read Southern Gal's Comment on Chromebooks when I went back to reference someone els's Comment on In This House of Brede (which I may re-read after all the discussion here). Sounds like a great solution. Our generation has a difficult time letting go of our 'ancient' devices which is why I rather sharply suggested you should do so - meant as a trigger, not a rebuke. But if something simpler and smaller is available, well hurray for that! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is touching and flattering and adorable that your grandson wants the next Calcutta Cup knitting. That will be good inspiration for designing. And Sarah I could probably recite half the lines in Casablanca, so I will look forward to that connection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I am a fan of classic films and was glad we had recently seen Casablanca again. I hope you are enjoying The Gentleman in Moscow.

      Delete