Saturday, February 29, 2020


Absolutely no knitting today. I started with a good Italian lesson. Dante remains more fun than grammar, and I’m glad to tell you that we’re sticking with the Divine Comedy for another week. Then Helen and her husband David and I went to see the soon-to-be parents in their new house in Roslyn. The chapel there has long been of interest to connoisseurs but since Dan Brown they have built extra car parks and have no doubt been greatly enriched. Then I had a pleasant visit with a neighbour and read the Financial Times.

My tutor (who lives in Rome) has a bit of a cold. I hope you can’t catch the coronavirus via Skype.

I hope to do better tomorrow. Andrew Marr will have plenty of interesting politics to talk about, and he’s easy to knit to.

Yesterday's kimchi is coming on nicely:



As you can see, it has been overflowing on the counter which is a good sign. The ziplock bags are meant to keep the solid contents underwater so that they can ferment anaerobically. 

I finished Lively’s Spiderweb and have fallen back on Ruth Rendell. I feel I ought to read Hilary Mantel’s Tudor trilogy. I’ve read and enjoyed a lot of her, including the heavyweight “A Place of Greater Safety” but have been avoiding the Booker winners; couldn’t say why.

Comments

I was very interested to learn that that sign on the Royal Mile in yesterday’s post is a world-wide joke. It remains a good one.

6 comments:

  1. You have not read "Wolf Hall"? Expect to read it at least twice in order to grasp what is going on and even who is speaking at any one time. In "Bring Up the Bodies" Mantel makes it easier on the reader by making this clearer. But, oh, Jean, what a feast awaits you! They are masterworks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Shandy said. I have both these first two of the trilogy in both print and audio versions. Masterworks indeed. You'll want to be googling Cromwell's portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Beth and Shandy. The third book is finally out, I believe and I’m waiting it’s availability on kindle anxiously, so I can carry it around more easily. I also really enjoyed the BBC (I think) version with Mark Rylance as Cromwell. I couldn’t imagine how so much internal dialogue would work on screen but he is a master. I’ve been away in Washington DC for a few days. Some masks in the airport, but the funniest thing to me was the few folks wearing masks on the plan to protect themselves, which they removed to have a drink and eat their almonds, putting them back on afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar7:00 PM

    Back in the nineties when I occasionally traveled by air, I noticed that I always caught cold three days later. So I wore masks through the airport as well as on the plane, and removed them to eat. It worked - after that I did not catch cold after flying. Maybe it was just that the mask kept the moisture from my exhaling and moistened the dry air of the plane, but I don't care - it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jean, that is so good to keep friendships alive in these days of people sticking to themselves. I am both proud and jealous of you! All my prayers for your good health, wishing you a speedy recovery. Do share about your Kimchi recipe and if possible more photos please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jean, I recently finished reading Gone With The Wind and now I'm onto Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace. Why don't you share your kimchi recipe? I've had kimchi only once and that was several years ago when a friend gave me a box full. I think it's an acquired taste. I liked it with bread.

    ReplyDelete