Friday, February 28, 2020


There are literally only a few stitches to report this evening – I have spent an industrious and I hope profitable afternoon making kimchi.

Never was there such a recipe for variations -- I suppose every household in Korea makes it differently. And I am coming to the conclusion that it doesn’t make much difference which path you choose -- you will probably have a tasty and interesting result. I follow, essentially, Brad Leone on Youtube except that (a) I cut the napa cabbage/Chinese leaves up at the beginning, and salt the cut pieces, instead of dividing the heads of cabbage into four vertically and laboriously salting each leaf; and (b) I omit Brad’s oyster.

Fermentation should be lively by Sunday.

My personal trainer came today, so I had plenty of exercise including a circuit of the garden.

If I am going to bring the Oak Park scarf into the WIP-mix, it’s time to think of doing so. A project for the weekend, perhaps. Lace knitting is all-consuming and I hate to lay it aside, even for two or three days a week. But it would be nice to have that scarf finished.

Non-knit

I am reading Penelope Lively’s “Spiderweb” and enjoying it very much.

My niece C. sent me this yesterday, photographed on the Royal Mile:


Now I must turn my attention to Dante again.

3 comments:

  1. In our little community the sign warned of an espresso and a pony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar8:36 PM

    A classic. In the version I saw, it was sugar and a puppy.
    Making kimchi is exercise in itself,so you are doubly exercised today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:50 PM

    Thank you for reminding me of Penelope Lively. It's time for me to read more of her work.

    Love the sign.
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete