Sunday, February 16, 2020


This is a genuine, undoctored photograph taken this morning:


I (who am taking the picture) am standing at the kitchen door, looking down the passage towards the Catalogue Room. On the right, you see the partially-open door to the Downstairs Lavatory, although it has been a quarter of a century since I lived in a house in which that phrase was appropriate. Between that door and the Catalogue Room, you can see a band of light falling across the passage from the open door of the Spare Room.

And in the foreground, to the right, you can see Dathan 2, last seen by me laid out to block on one of the beds in the Spare Room (but not pinned down).

This experience has revived my belief that it was my furry friends, and not senile forgetfulness, who have removed the Spring Shawl from the place where I remain convinced I left it. But where did they put it?

All well with the Cameron Shawl. I have reached the first corner. Now I must begin to think of what follows edge-knitting. For the pattern, as I have told you, is written from the centre square outwards, and I am (obviously) working from the edging inwards. I’ll pick up 220 stitches from the edging for each side of the shawl (22 scallops times 10 stitches each) – and then what?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Jean, that photo made me laugh! Although the Dathan seems perilously close to the litter box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...in this house we would say, "It has gone to look for the sheets". This is in reference to the two sets of sheets my mother once bought which mysteriously disappeared and have never been found. I wonder whether the cats we had then were the culprits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these family sayings, incomprehensible to anyone 'not in the know'! We say 'you're not the ostler' when anyone makes a statement based on no evidence at all; apparently Great Aunt Cissy said this to the the ostler at an inn way back when inns and ostlers were around.

      Delete
    2. =Tamar4:12 PM

      "It looks like the movies let out." Originally describing a sudden unexplained surge of traffic in a small town. My brother says nobody else ever understands what it means.

      Delete
  3. It would seem that P and P conspired together to make the Spring Shawl disappear. If only one of them was the culprit surely her sister would have ratted her out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the Spring Shawl could be anywhere a naughty cat could drag it to?

    Is it time for Archie to check under every bed and other pieces of furniture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:07 PM

      Is it time to check on *top* of every tall piece of furniture, and on the highest shelf of every cupboard? Cats can reach uncanny heights . . .
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  5. Allison7:09 PM

    Has anyone searched downstairs?

    ReplyDelete