Sunday, February 09, 2020


Things have improved somewhat on the computer front. Google Chrome remained shy, even after being turned off all night. When I pass the pointer over its icon (I think that’s the right word) I can see a little image, as usual, of the screen I want to load. But no amount of clicking will take me there.

 However, I eventually discovered that I still have Internet Explorer installed.I was able to use it to get back in touch with the world.

 I’ve started the Cameron shawl. It’ll take a while to finish it. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to send the picture across from my iPad.

 I decided, as will have been immediately obvious to you all had I been able to show you the picture, that off-white on grey is not an entirely satisfactory combination for efficient knitting. I have enough circular needles here of various lengths and gauges to stock a modest LYS, but (as so often) nothing that was exactly what I wanted. The picture above suggests that, wherever the Spring Shawl may be, it has taken a good needle with it.

 So I ordered one, in nice dark wood with what looks like satisfactorily sharp points.

 Meanwhile the 2nd Dathan, although completely tidied, hasn’t been blocked. Indeed, the “Hansel” shawl hasn’t been unpinned from the spare room bed. I felt pretty droopy today, even by my current low standards, and have done little.


Here is a picture Alexander sent yesterday of himself and Ketki dressed for Calcutta Cup watching. His vest is the one I knit to celebrate the Scottish vistory in 2018. Ketki’s is much older -- 2008? It has a band with the cup and date around the bottom, just above the ribbing.
 
No, we can't have that one, either. It's here, somewhere on the computer, but I can't find an address for it.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I hates technology. It's fine when it works, but I have to control my desire to throw it across the room when it doesn't.
    Fingers crossed for a solution...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started re-reading the Nine Tailors, and now, technology has allowed me to hear and see what ringing the changes sounds a looks like. There is a lovely documentary on youtube (and vimeo) called The Craft of Bellringing. https://www.bellringingfilm.co.uk/craft.html It is worth 45 minutes of anyone's time who is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone following kaffefassettstudio on Instagram would see Kaffe happily working on his jigsaw today.

    This coming Saturday Kathy's Knits is hosting a Uist Wool Trunk Show from 12 noon followed by a talk/virtual mill tour at 5pm with tickets available on the door (£10).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean. Delete chrome from your computer. I’ll email you directions. Often that’s the only way to clear it up. The other option is to shut down your computer/laptop. Not restart but turn it offf using the shut down. Often windows updates need the mach8ne to be turned off. And then started up. I do it several times a week. It keeps things clean and running better. Try that first. And then check for chrome updates. You go to the three dots in the top right corner and then to help and about chrome and the update process will kick in. Try all of those then if nothing works uninstall and reinstall. Let me know if these work if not I’ll send the directions to uninstall etc.

    ReplyDelete