Sunday, February 02, 2020


I’ve gone back and added your title to yesterday’s blog post, Shandy. It was too good to lose.

It’s been cloudy all day, as is suitable for the 2nd of February. You’ll have noticed the remarkable palindrome formed by the date.

This morning I wondered if the old sovereign cure would work for the mouse: namely, to turn the computer back on again, it having been off all night. So I did. No luck. So I tried replacing the battery, and now it’s fine. Did the old battery fail in the split second it took the mouse to fall off the table? It seems unlikely.

Rugby is back with us. Scotland lost to Ireland yesterday, but we didn’t disgrace ourselves as had been predicted. France beat England today in a thriller.

And I am knitting the penultimate row of the 2nd Dathan hap. While I was knitting the antepenultimate one, the cord came out of the needle point releasing 40 or more stitches into the void. It took a while to round them up. A few minutes later it happened again. Fewer stitches this time, as I was trying to be careful. I am currently knitting the stitches on to another needle (rather larger in gauge, alas). I think I can finish the row without another disaster. The defective needle is better at supplying stitches than at receiving them.

Here is the hap at the moment:




I’ll take a better picture when it’s finished. And here is the left-over yarn:



The yarn represents my Shetland purchases from last May: a collection of toning oddballs from Wilma Malcolmson’s studio; a couple of balls from Jamieson’s (the other Jamieson; not Jamieson & Smith); a few more from Ronnie Eunson’s wonderful shop on his organic farm. Here’s the link. I think the only solution is going to be to hire Rumpelstiltskin. Jamieson & Smith provided the cobweb yarn for the ill-fated Spring Shawl.

Comments: Kirsten, I have found that old newspaper pattern for the double-breasted Baby Surprise. Email me.

Shandy, thank you for the pointer to the Wild Swan pattern on Ravelry. It's a possibility.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Jean!
    Oh, your knitting is always so inspiring!
    We have a 70 degree day in Denver but the snow storm is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar11:37 PM

    Congratulations on finding the pattern! While you have it, may I suggest making a copy? or even scanning or typing it into the computer?

    It looks as though you have enough leftover yarn for another hap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some times the battery can dislodge when you drop it. Don't ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, about the battery - can happen! Will you be able to scan the jacket pattern? I'd like to do it again (I've
    kept the first one as a baby memento)

    In the newspaper they had a full size adult version as well. It looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the adult version and I think I still have the pattern somewhere.

      Delete
  5. My copy of the Baby Surprise Jacket pattern came from, I believe, The Schoolhouse Press about ten years ago and I see many sources for it still. But perhaps they aren't the double breasted version.

    ReplyDelete