Monday, February 10, 2020

All is well. I had feared that Archie would only be acquainted with powerful games machines and the Apple operating system, but he was able to put all right with a few clicks. The essence of the problem seemed to be that Chrome was loading all right, but confining itself to a small square in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. I had noticed that myself. What I had to do was drag it up -- right-clicking may have been involved – to fill the screen. He did some other things, too.

My suspicion is that it was all Perdita’s fault. She often comes and sits on the keyboard when I am here, and she knows a number of key combinations which are foreign to me. Archie, who is devoted to her, doesn’t believe this.

So here’s where we are:

a)     I blocked the second Dathan today. And
b)    I have started the Cameron shawl, and am enjoying myself immensely.





Here’s the latest picture. A couple of problems: the right-side, odd-numbered rows begin with a sl1 purlwise with-yarn-in-front (to make a nice chained edging for picking up the border stitches later), followed immediately with a yo k2tog. And, as I think you can see even from this blurry picture, I was making a mess of it. The yo wasn’t presenting itself properly on the following row.



So I decided to add another k1, between the slipped stitch and the yo. That’s working fine. If I were Andrea, I’d rip it all out and start again, but I’m not so I didn’t.

At the time of writing, I’ve done 5 ½ scallops. That’s half of 11. And 11 is half of the 22 scallops needed per edge. (My plan, as I’ve mentioned before, is to knit two borders at a time, so that I can knit back and forth and avoid purling, but still have only two corners to sew up at the end.) So I feel I’m making a good start.

Looking for something else, I found a circular needle of the right gauge with a wooden end, and I was right, it certainly helps. Then I (rather belatedly) reflected that what I really need is a set of dp’s. This edging is going to be with me for a while. So I ordered some.

5 comments:

  1. It is never the wrong time to order a bit of new kit. As the advert says "because you're worth it"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Archie should be proud that Perdita is so clever! And I'm with jeanfromcornwall, the right tool for the job is always worth it. I do love the colors in that second Dathan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Your solution to the YO is perfect. I wouldn't rip back, either.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar6:39 PM

    On my system, which is quite different, when saving a file it is all too easy to click something called "minimize", which shrinks the screen to invisibility. Maybe Perdita was playing with the mouse.

    I hope the dpns are actually the same size, not merely nominally the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pattern of colors in the second Dathan are really nice and I particularly like the red used as the bottom border stripe.

    ReplyDelete