Wednesday, February 05, 2020


Tamar, what would I do without you? (Serious question.) I will certainly go ahead and block this Dathan. It won’t be long, now. I’m nearly finished with the binding-off. I’ve had a rather depressing message to say that the yarn from Jamieson’s will arrive on Sunday and will require a signature.

Sunday is my favourite day. Niece C. and I go to an early Mass and then have coffee and delicious cakes with the congregation. Next Sunday we were planning to go on to a bookshop with Greek Helen. I could cancel all of those delights and stay home for the yarn. If I miss it, I might be tempted to start another Dathan. No, no, not that! But staying home is an equally bleak prospect.

I have a half-knit sock here somewhere, if all else fails.

Politics

The first thing nice Mr Buttigieg needs is a spell-able and pronounce-able alias. The BBC was making heavy weather today with the discovery that both “g’s” are soft.

I sleep with the radio on (bliss, usually) and thus heard a great deal of the State of the Union speech. Emerging from slumber, I assumed at first that the strenuous and noisy applause was coming from a rally of devoted Trump fans. In a sense, it was. But it turned out to be the U.S. Congress, and that was sort of scary.

Jigsaw puzzles

Holly, thank you for the link to the Jigsaw Junkies post. I was interested to see that they rated Pomegranate highly for solid pieces. That is the brand name of the puzzle my niece brought me yesterday – but the pieces are not what I would call solid. I went to the Pomegranate (American) website today. They’ve got lots of interesting puzzles; they ship abroad; they pride themselves on sturdy pieces.

The Pomegranate puzzle my niece brought me yesterday is based on a picture in the National Gallery here. The writing on the box looks as if it would be the same as one sold in the U.S. There is even a dollar price.

One of the puzzles on the pomegranate.com website is a composite of the covers of Edward Gorey’s books. Alexander deals in Gorey books – it would make a grand 60th birthday present for him later this month. And that would settle the question (of whether American cardboard jigsaw pieces are solider). But it’s out of stock.

7 comments:

  1. Buttigieg is often called "Mayor Pete". I started reading about him long before I heard anyone say his name, and "BOOT-Edge-Edge" is how they advise you to say his name (not helpful). There was a recent article in the NY Times on the variations in pronunciation: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/us/politics/how-pronounce-buttigieg-name.html?searchResultPosition=2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon US has at least one Edward Gorey 1,000 piece puzzle, with no indication of short stock. I’d include a link, but I’m not sure how to do it from my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean , are you thinking of the Tuco puzzles? They had thick sturdy pieces.My mother and I used to do those. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Edward+Gorey+1%2C000+piece+puzzle&ref=nb_sb_noss

    hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean, have you heard of the British Jigsaw Puzzle Library? https://www.britishjigsawpuzzlelibrary.co.uk/
    They use wooden pieces for their jigsaws. They don't come with pictures, though. Aine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our "Adoration of the Magi" was a charity shop find, but had been produced for Past Times which has now gone out of business. We've just finished it - the main figures were fun but the borders were a real challenge. Do say if you would like it. We prefer to do puzzles of art-works, so we have recently had ones produced by Falcon. What varied tremendously was the proportion of pieces of each type in each puzzle. The quality was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world seems to be moving in a frightening direction. US Congress with no respect for the constitution, then I saw that Hindu nationalists are deifying the man who assassinated Ghandi. We need our knitting. And do go out Sunday, Jean. The yarn will come eventually.

    ReplyDelete