Wednesday, August 09, 2023

 There I was in pretty good shape on Friday. Then I went backwards. More Hospital-from-Home. Nothing much wrong. I hope to feel much better tomorrow when not-taking-doxycycline will make itself felt. Meanwhile I am somewhat livelier this evening.

  Helen was here this morning, fresh from a meeting with a plumber at Drummond Place. Our Downstairs Lavatory is directly below a similar room in the flat above. We had assumed that the same arrangement prevailed below. But no: Another one, from a different apartment, comes in from the side somehow. Helen is (justifiably) apoplectic with rage that Mr. Downstairs, who has been giving her a very hard time, never mentioned this fact. And we are exonerated, at least somewhat.

  She is going to Thessaloniki tomorrow to celebrate David’s 60th birthday with him. They are going to a Very Fancy Hotel for three nights. She is tremendously looking forward to idleness. I think she may find even that much of it to be more than she wants.

  No knitting. The shawl is exactly where it was when I wrote to you last, on Friday.

  Wordle: Five for me today, also Roger and Theo. Ketki needed six. Everybody else did better.

  I failed yesterday. The answer was BULLY. I had ?..,U,L,L,Y and guessed wrong four times. And Wordbot got it wrong again: it didn’t seem to accept my entry of PULLY although Wordle accepted it happily enough.Research suggests that the spelling PULLEY is considerably commoner. Well, if Wordle doesn’t like PULLY it shouldn’t accept it.


3 comments:

  1. Glad you're back!
    How aggravating about the Downstairs Lavatory problem and Mr Downstairs. When my parents moved into quite a small 2nd floor flat the were determined to create a 'Downstairs Lavatory ' and managed to fit one into a storage cupboard next to the real bathroom. Some might think this was unnecessary but they found it a boon.
    Wordle is driving me mad at the moment. I am not thinking along the right lines at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar12:59 AM

    Relieved to hear you are doing a bit better.

    Aggravating isn't the half of it. He sounds like a real pill. Sideways neighbor probably has no idea they have a leak. I know of a case where the leak was from the overflow part of a tub, invisible except in the ceiling below, and no way to repair it without installing a new tub.

    Wordle needs to get its act together with Wordbot. I admit I had to think a bit, but I would probably spell pulley with the "e".
    But there are so many other possible words - cully, dully, fully, gully, Lully (the musician), sully,Tully (for Tullamore Dew). It's just a guessing game at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou2:00 PM

    All that effort and annoyance, and now it has little to do with your lavatory. I can imagine feeling really angry, good for Helen she is getting a change of scene. I nearly failed wordle the same day. I think wordbot shows some of the weaknesses of AI!

    ReplyDelete