Wednesday, November 03, 2021

 

I think everything is ready for my sister tomorrow. The spare room looks almost elegant in Daniela’s arrangement, and Perdita has been turned out. It’s her room, really. I’ve had a huge order delivered from the supermarket, and a substantial one from Cook who make good frozen meals. I seem to have solved the hot water problem – as you hint, Helen (anon), it’s all a matter of pressing buttons. I’ve had my bath.

 

I got quite a bit of Machu Picchu knit today, and am almost finished with the first skein of yarn. That really feels like progress. This evening the wee remaining ball rolled under the chair I was sitting on. I tugged, and the yarn broke, and I looked under the chair and found whiskers (attached to a cat). Daughter Helen came soon afterwards and found the yarn. Still no pattern, however. It’s very odd. We’ve done a remarkable lot of work in the last few days sorting through piles of paper, to no avail.

 

A lot of the big shots have gone home from the Global Warming conference, including Biden. There has been a good deal of press coverage of the extraordinary number of private jets employed to bring them all here and take them away again. Alexander reports that Glasgow is surprisingly easy to move about in. He plans to come here on Friday to see Sister Helen.

(Biden slept in a hotel just outside of Edinburgh, presumably travelling back and forth by motorcade.)

I haven’t got any forrad’er with my microwave today. Sarah, I am grateful for your squash recipe which sounds delicious. I actually have everything here in the house, except that the squash isn’t acorn so I’ll have to do some juggling. It's one of those yellowy-orange ones shaped like an expanded figure 8.

I’ve just found a delicious-sounding recipe in a cookery magazine: it’s meant as a Christmas side dish – sprouts, kale, cranberries. I think it’s just the thing for my new machine to be unleashed on. (In the real world, you would roast it, and the cranberries would have been made into sauce in advance.)

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful that your sister is visiting. Yes POTUS has left the country and taken his ridiculous entourage with him. Apparently, all 24 vehicles last night took a wrong turn and ended up in South Queensferry en route to the airport. The armoured truck was lit up like the Coca Cola truck at Xmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your squash is a butternut squash. They are very good and I think easier to handle. You don't have to work the skin off of all those corrugations like an acorn.
    It sounds like things are getting a little more back to 'normal'. I am sure you will enjoy your sister's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence, Jean, my sister (and her husband) arrive tomorrow from the Bay Area. San Francisco is not quite as far as your sister has to travel but it is a distance. They will stay a week; delightful!
    I make butternut squash the same way as the acorn squash, with orange juice and nutmeg, except I need to use a flatish dish to cook the squash...a glass pie plate works fine. Be sure to brush the orange juice over the cut surface of the squash or it won't cook as well. And with the acorn squash, I don't remove the rind/skin, but serve it with the skin intact. The diner is expected to scrape the flesh out themselves. I quarter it so one medium squash is perfect for 4. I also check for doneness with a toothpick or fork; it should be fairly soft.
    Enjoy your sister's visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar5:03 PM

    I wonder...is there a tiny space under the bookshelves, that a piece of paper might slide under? Perhaps someone could fish around with a ruler and see what slides out.

    I may have to try that squash recipe.
    And hooray for hot water and knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a lovely visit with your sister, I imagine it has been a while. And have you tried praying to St. Anthony? Or tying a knot in your garment? I wonder how many folk beliefs there are for finding lost items. My Irish grandmother had a hotline to St. Anthony!

    ReplyDelete