Wednesday, November 10, 2021

 

My sister should be pretty close to DC by now. She left here at 6:30 this morning. It’s now nearly 5:30 this evening. KLM via Amsterdam.

 

We had a good time, much overshadowed by Covid. First she had to self-administer a test and photograph the result next to her passport and send that to the Scottish administration in some form. And then – almost at once – had to get a more severe and more expensive test so that the Americans would let her go home. She was terrified of being isolated here for a fortnight. That test had to be done within three days of departure and there was no guarantee that she would have the result in time. In the event, she was tested Monday morning and had the result Monday evening. We didn’t know what to do with ourselves yesterday, without anything to worry about.

 

I have advanced Machu Picchu a bit – It’s now about 7” in all. I’m knitting an EPS along the lines of a successful one finished recently. Soon – but there’s no hurry – I’ll measure the successful one to see how far I’ve got to go until the underarm. And I’ve found the pattern, in a sense – I’ve got the .pdf on my computer. I’ve lost a printed copy. It’s a comfort to know I can print it again. And I’ve found the main-colour yarn for the Coofle. If it had been a snake it would’uv…

 

However, the knitting news is elsewhere. Rachel’s daughter Hellie rang up to say that that she and Matt are expecting their third child in April. Will this be a 7th little girl to add to the clutch of great-grandchildren I’ve already got? She’s had the first scan (on which sex can’t be clearly established) and the suspicion is yes, a girl.

 

However, male or female, something must be knit. I rushed out and bought Seasonal Slow Knitting, thinking that it would be full of peaceful, reflective essays which would show me not only what to knit but how to scrabble around in my extensive stash to find something to knit with. No such luck. The author lives in Tennessee, to begin with, where the too-hot-to-knit months take up half the year. There’s a pattern for a baby blanket but it doesn’t tempt and it isn’t assembled from stash.

 

So I’ve pulled out every shawl book I own. EZ’s pi-shawl is a real possibility.

8 comments:

  1. Jean - it is so good to hear from you again. And happy news re another grandchild. Knit on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister (and her husband) also left this morning at 6:30 New York time, heading back to San Francisco. We had a wonderful visit, with no COVID test worries and I was sorry to hear of your travails, But what a coincidence that would both have sisters visiting at the same time. Wishing safe travels to both.
    I’m glad you had the chance to see your sister.
    And congratulations on a new granddaughter to be. Always fun to knit for a new baby, with love in every stitch.
    Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar10:20 PM

    It's good to hear from you! I'm glad to hear the visit came off well. And finding the pdf of the pattern is a bonus.
    It's interesting to hear details of the travel requirements. I guess I won't be visiting the UK any time soon. Too much paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had good luck with the Square Shawl found in the February chapter of Knitter's Almanac on p 21. I have even made a couple using left over sock yarn and also some made with left over J&S. I throw in some rows of yok2tog to keep me awake. I am glad you had a wonderful visit with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:11 AM

    Sorry your sister had to go through all that. As I grow older more and more things terrify me. It's the health issues, not the spirit which still loves an adventure. You might want to print that shawl pattern sooner rather than later. Things tend to happen, Printers break down, precisely at the wrong time, etc. File the new copy in an easy-to-find place. Easy to say, I know, as I lose things regularly myself. Hence, more copies. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about a hap if you want to do a shawl? But that cute baby jumper you've knitted several times would also be appreciated, I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy news, and a good safe visit with your sister. What about a log cabin sort of blanket with all of that Shetland weight yarn you have? I would be a fun, colorful project for the dark days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your sister arrived home safely.
    And be sure to let us know what you plan to knit for the new baby....

    ReplyDelete