Friday, November 19, 2021

 

So now poor Mr Biden is having a “routine colonoscopy”. That leaves me feeling pretty feeble. Still, I am pretty feeble, and ten years older than he is. I trust he was relieved of presidential duties yesterday during the fasting and purging.

 

I’ve had a sore arm today, and weakness even beyond my usual. Daniella and I tried to go out for a walk this morning, but had to turn back for lack of strength. These are both normal Pfizer side effects. I hope they’ll go away soon. I hope Helen, now on her way to Thessaloniki, isn’t suffering too badly.

 

I had a nice time this morning – while Daniella cleaned the house and did the ironing, after we gave up on walking – with my favourite podcast,  the BBC’s “Americast”; and my favourite vlog, Franklin in Paris; and quite a bit of knitting. I hope I’ll get down to the measuring tomorrow – the underarm is no longer an unimaginable goal. (This is Carol Sunday's Machu Picchu pattern, reimagined as a bottom-up EPS>) 

 

Animals

 

The cheetahs have been mostly out today.

 

JennyS, comment yesterday, many thanks for the link to the picture of Rothschild driving a team of zebras. (That’s probably the picture you remembered seeing, Tamar.) If you look closely, you can see that one of the team, the leader on the left, is not a zebra but a similar-sized pony. So perhaps they’re not as trainable as all that, but still a good deal more trainable than I had thought. Nobody suggests that anything can be done with tigers.

 

Today is what would have been my husband’s 96th birthday. He was ust slightly older than the Queen. November, as well as being rather disagreeable on its own account, is full of melancholy anniversaries.

4 comments:

  1. =Tamar7:29 PM

    You are observant - I hadn't noticed the pony in the Rothschild picture. Yes, as we age there are more melancholy anniversaries to observe. The bright side I suppose is that we are here to observe them.
    I was a bit achier in general for a couple of days after the booster, but it seems to have passed off now.
    It's sunny today. I should get out and appreciate it.
    Congratulations on the sweater progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the subject of staying cheerful: here's a link to a wonderful exhibition of embroidery at the Bodleian: https://visit.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/event/the-needles-art
    A friend of mine belongs to the group which developed ideas from an early pattern book in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sent browsing on taming zebras, here's an interesting bit with historical photos: https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/riding-zebras-photographs/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree: November is a miserable month to have a birthday. Doesn't Louisa May Alcott say as much in Little Women?

    ReplyDelete