Monday, November 22, 2021

 

Shandy: sorry. I usually try to check everything I’m not utterly sure of – such as, how to spell “Verginia” yesterday – but in this case, I misremembered. It is Tamar who pays bills by cheque (comment, Saturday) and, anyway, claims not to be entirely luddite. And I think things are a bit different in the US anyway – banks are more cautious.

 

Well, it was not too bad a day. I went out for a brief walk with Daniela when she first arrived, our new policy. No luck with cheetahs: sometimes the webcam for Den Two seems to be down, but even when I got access to both dens, nobody was home.

 

My big discovery for today is Stanley Tucci. I was idly watching YouTube at lunchtime, thinking of making myself some spaghetti olio e aglio, when I stumbled across him, making that very dish. His name was vaguely familiar, no more. I’ve discovered since that he is an actor: indeed I might have suspected that there was art behind his captivating artlessness. He has a book out for Christmas, and I am tempted, although in most cases a celebrity cook’s first book – this is Tucci’s third – is the one to go for.

 

I did some knitting, too.

 

9 comments:

  1. Yes, at my house we enjoyed Stanley Tucci's CNN series on cooking and eating in various areas of Italy. In addition to his Italian-American background his family spent, I think, a year in Florence when he was a child. He lives in London, where his literary agent partner is sister of Emily Blunt, his fellow cast member in The Devil Wears Prada. Really looking forward to his movie with his good friend Colin Firth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca in MN1:54 AM

    You might be interested to see the 1996 movie that introduced American audiences to Stanley Tucci, Big Night. It's about food, and specifically the effort by two brothers to save their foundering restaurant by putting on a spectacular evening of spectacular Italian food. (Yes, I do mean the two "spectaculars.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:37 AM

      I second "Big Night", a wonderful movie.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  3. Not to worry, Jean. Do check out the slides for that embroidery exhibition at the Bodleian - it's one to raise the spirits, even if you are not into embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I read Stanley Tucci's name I thought of Big Night, but I see others have beaten me to the recommendation, which I heartily endorse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar7:49 PM

    I wish banks here were more cautious but I still trust them with cheques more than with online security.

    "Big Night" sounds like an excellent movie.

    Good for you, doing more walking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:45 AM

    I think the ladder-back jacquard is a technique one of the Rainey Sisters has described in their blog. They have a pattern to practice on a hat.
    I would like to try it - but have not yet.
    Lisa RR

    https://theraineysisters.com/?page_id=7884

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They call it invisible stranding, I have the hat pattern, but haven't tried it yet.

      Delete
  7. I re-watched Big Night recently and thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete