Monday, November 01, 2021

 

Little to report. No knitting at all. But Helen is safely back from Down Souff, devoutly welcome.

 

I underestimated Biden. His motorcade in Rome involved 85 limousines. He seems to have taken only 20 with him to Glasgow. Air Force One landed here in Edinburgh this morning – presumably he proceeded to Glasgow by helicopter. This is ridiculous.

 

Today’s big event here in Drummond Place was the arrival of a microwave/dry fryer. I bought it from Lakeland, and have had an email from them this evening apologising for its non-arrival. Things are tough, they say, However, here it is. None of us can remember why I thought I needed one. Thirty years ago or so, I used to enjoy an evening in the bath reading an instruction leaflet. Those days are gone – I am afraid of falling, and avoid the bathtub. And instruction leaflets terrify me. I did manage to microwave a frozen meal for my lunch. (Wow!) It’s a start.

 

As for baths, Daniela now does that once a week, very briskly and efficiently. I am very lucky to have her, and to be able to afford her. I think theoretically the benevolent Scottish Government promises me Personal Care – my husband had it, and it was excellent, but he spent weeks blocking a bed in hospital before it could be arranged. Things have become more difficult since then.

 

5 comments:

  1. Your microwave sounds most important exciting! We will need to think about replacing ours soon. I shall investigate Lakeland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should read through before pressing post. I know I had typed exciting, not important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:22 AM

    I read in a magazine about steaming green vegetables in the microwave for about 2 minutes using an airtight lid or plastic wrap. They come out bright green and delicious. Probably works for carrots, etc, as well. You can add butter, salt, herbs or lemon, etc. afterwards but isn't even necessary. I've done asparagus, broccoli and zucchini so far. Don't know much about air fry, but hear it is great. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. 85! That's quite the entourage. About the instruction leaflets--often they no longer exist at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Navigating advancing years is tough. We are in a care home and each aide has a slightly different approach and/or interpretation of "THE RULES".

    ReplyDelete