Friday, November 12, 2021

My sister is safely back in her nest. The worst part of the journey was the traffic between Dulles International and home.

 I’m now facing up to my next ordeal, the colonoscopy next Tuesday. I am seriously weighing the option of ringing them up tomorrow morning and cancelling. Not for fear of the procedure itself, although I don’t relish it, but for the day of fasting and purging (Monday) and the danger of falling it will involve. I am weak, and I try to be careful about falls. I will be weaker still, after a day with no food and energetic laxatives. How many old people’s active life is ended forever by a fall, as opposed to how many suffer dire consequences from not having a colonoscopy? I’ll keep you posted. 

No knitting, but much pleasant thought about what to knit for the prospective great-grandchild. I like your idea of the EZ square blanket in the Almanac, Ron. It would be nice and easy. And I like yours, of a log cabin in Shetland wool, Mary Lou. That would be pretty easy, and fun, except for the seaming. I thought I remembered that there is one in Drop Dead Easy Knits – and sure enough, there is, although not under that name. That one has three-needle bind-offs instead of seaming. I don’t wholly understand the instructions but they would probably explain themselves as we went along. There seem to be some schematics missing. I need to get Machu Picchu up to the armpits soon and then assess my options. 

I heard about a “knitted soldier” on the radio yesterday, and have just looked it up. Type those words into Google, if you haven’t seen it already. It’s truly brilliant. It’s in Syston, Leicestershire. American Googlers might need to know that.

5 comments:

  1. About the colonoscopy. It sounds like you should definitely call and see if you can talk to a person about your concerns. If after hearing your concerns they still think you should have one, it's still your decision. Did you say earlier that you'll have someone at home with you on the day of your prep? Because I agree, the colonoscopy itself is easy, it's the prep that's awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Peggy; you should have someone at home with you when you do the prep. It can leave you weak and really in danger of a fall.
    Drinking that awful salty stuff is the worst.
    Please call and see if the doctors think you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say it would depend on the reason for the colonoscopy -- if they are looking for something particular that they think might be causing your weakness, then you should probably take precautions and go ahead. If this is just the generally "it is time to have one," then I might call and see if it might make sense to wait until you are feeling stronger. Because the fasting can definitely add to the weakness and it may take you even longer to regain that strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar6:16 PM

    I agree, doing colonoscopy prep at home alone is a bad idea for you. Find out - ask assertively if there is something specific they want to check, rather than just "it's on the list of things to do every enx years". If there is something specific, I think they should give you a room at the hospital for the prep. Also, there is such a thing as electronic colonoscopy which is non-invasive. (I think the prep is still required though.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "Mysterious Knitter" is a wonder! I would be interested to know how long it took her to do the soldier she did for Remembrance Day. He looks so realistic, and how ever does he stand up? I agree with your decision about the procedure next week, Jean, unless there is a pressing reason your doctor thinks it needs to be done. Take care, and be good to yourself.

    ReplyDelete