Wednesday, November 17, 2021

 

I will get my Covid booster tomorrow, fairly early. Helen will drive me. I’ve had no reaction at all to the first two (Astra Zeneca) or to my flu jab. Helen had an odd reaction to her first Covid, and for a while abstained from the second. We shall see. She is meant to go to Greece on Friday, but European numbers are not very encouraging and she is anxious, as my sister was when she was here, about the possibility of getting stuck.

 

A most encouraging photograph has been posted today of the Queen receiving a retiring general, stiff with gold braid. She is standing without a stick and seems comfortable in that posture (it’s not so much a photograph as a brief video). Helen is anxious for her (we all are), and afraid they weren’t telling us the truth.

 

The cheetahs come and go. It’s worth persevering. (Link yesterday)

 

I’ve had a good day, with some knitting. I’ve started reading “Rubicon”, a history of the late Roman republic, on Rachel’s recommendation. It’s very good, and perhaps a step up, intellectually, from the re-reading of Marjorie Allingham.

 

Vogue Live (or whatever it’s called) is about to happen. I am tempted by Amy Detjen’s “Ladder-back jacquard” (title not guaranteed, but I think that would give you enough to find it). I love Amy. She was at the first Camp Stitches I attended in 1999. I’ve got her Craftsy course on a yoke sweater. The point of this class is to teach a technique for colour-work with substantial blocks of colour in which, by some magic, you don’t have to catch the second colour in behind. If such magic is possible, it must be available on YouTube here in the third millennium, but it would be more fun to be taught by Amy. Alas, the timing – 6pm to 8pm British Standard Time – is too late for me. I’ve wilted by then.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the booster! Hurrah! And yes, the surges both here and in Europe are unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to give you an advisory - I had the flu shot and the COVID booster the same day and I felt poorly the next day. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar12:24 AM

    The pharmacy where I got my booster won't let you get two shots closer than 14 days apart, despite things I've read elsewhere.
    Some people say 28 days between.

    I found two tutorials on youtube for Ladder Back Jacquard. It seems like something I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to get an appointment for my booster shot exactly 6 months after the second shot. It was not easy. Everybody tells you to get a third shot, but not where to get it. A friend had to wait three and a half hours in a queue at a vaccination bus, on a parking lot at 4° Celsius.
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew from Chicago1:57 PM

    I've been curious about the ladder-back jacquard for a while now, and have watched this hat tutorial video thinking that I should give it a go. I don't particularly love the Halloween inspired project, but it would make a quick knit to try the technique.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntEcHzj5lg4

    Best wishes on the booster shot!

    ReplyDelete