Monday, November 19, 2018


Amy, no, I wouldn’t have been horrified if your knitting had been inspired by Marie Curie and you didn’t mention Pierre. Hers is the more famous name. And at least in that case I couldn’t have accused you of political correctness. But in this case, Crick and Watson are by far the more famous and I remain very surprised that Franklin could be mentioned without a nod in their direction.

Otherwise, little to report. I had occasion today to look back to blog entries of a few years ago (2013, to be precise) and was astonished at how much I seemed to be able to get through in a day – how much knitting, and how much else.  It wasn’t all that long ago. I was 80. Whatever, it’s not like that now.

Let’s hold on to what we’ve got. I passed the halfway point today of the current OXO on the Calcutta Cup vest. That means that, whether I add an extra half-OXO at the end or not, I am on the home stretch, knitting the final pattern-repeat. Back in ’13, I sat with my husband after supper watching (or not watching) television. These days, I tend to huddle in the kitchen with my cats, reading books.

6 comments:

  1. I imagine that being restricted due to caring for your husband gave a certain structure to your day that involved knitting and television, while now you are reading. And exercising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit horrified when I attended a World War I remembrance / Veteran's Day program. The keynote speech was about a woman's aunt who fixed cars in France during the War. That is fine but ... at the end of the day, (white) men where mostly the ones doing the dying. I just thought it was kind of rude to totally ignore them and also a bit willfully ignorant of history. Anyway, it seems to be the fad these days to celebrate non-white non-men, even when it doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes exactly: Let's hold on to what we've got. It may be obvious but in middle age, which in these days goes on for about forty years, six years counts for nothing. Between eighty and eighty-six, however, is a different matter, as it is between fourteen and twenty. I watch coach parties arrive at the place where I volunteer and I see so many whose mobility has declined much further than yours. And these are the ones still able to get on a coach. I picture you, cosy in your new kitchen, and it is a peaceful image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Shandy! Sometimes things knock the stuffing out of you and you don't even realize it until later. You certainly have had a major loss in your life in recent years! Give yourself a break. I am in awe of how much you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if you continue to make an effort with the exercise and the personal trainer, you will find some of your strength returning. I have been reading lately that exercise and sufficient sleep are much more important than even diet in maintaining our quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete