Friday, November 23, 2018


Thank you for your continued good advice. Tonight I changed for bed immediately upon finishing my early supper. That’s a very good idea, at least during these dark, huddle-inducing days.

I used to read in bed a lot, when I was young. Now, I can’t seem to manage it. I keep slipping down the pillows. Maybe I should get one of those pillows with arms?

I heard from an old friend this morning that “Tribe” had one stripey hat kit, so I bought it. Now I’ve got to knit stripey hats. Tribe Yarns was completely new to me, I think – so that was another plus. They’ve got some interesting things. Thank you for your offer to look for the kit, Mary Lou. Blue Sky Fibers who produce it are American, as the spelling of “Fibers” implies.

I did finish the basic knitting of the Calcutta Cup vest last night, and am rather pleased with it. I decided that it didn’t, after all, need the extra half-OXO, but I remain very grateful to Maureen for the idea. I didn’t do much this evening, because Perdita came to sit on my lap, which is a rare honour. I’m nearly finished, though, with joining the shoulders in a three-needle bind-off which I thought would be stronger than grafting. Tomorrow I hope to embark on corrugated rib.

I’ve got enough yarn left over for another vest and a half. That always happens, with me and Fair Isle.

5 comments:

  1. Well done! Let's hope it makes bedtime easier. My husband's father and step-mother slipped into the habit of staying up half the night and sleeping all morning. We would arrive to take them out for lunch and find them still eating breakfast. In the winter they missed out on most of the daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m very happy that I was able to share the idea of the half OXO because it enabled you to relax and enjoy your knitting without stressing about it! Glad to hear that you’re finishing the three needle bind off and are almost ready to start your corrugated ribbing.....you’re just about done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue Sky is not only an American company, but a Minnesota company, so it is right across the river from me. Happy to hear you are on the home stretch of the vest. The stripey hat will be a piece of cake after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar2:19 PM

    Three-needle bindoff is also less stretchy than grafting, and is therefore recommended to keep shoulders from stretching out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:43 PM

    Change of topic - this is Janet in Seattle - have you read Kate Davies' book Handmade? Excellent!

    ReplyDelete