Thursday, June 09, 2022

 

A good day. Helen got me around the garden. I ate my prunes and did my exercises.

 

And thought about the future. Thank you very much indeed for your comments. Tamar, you are absolutely right (as usual): nothing should be decided until Daniela gets back. (some time in July?) It would be rash, indeed, to dispense with her so no, anonymous, a live-in carer would mostly be responsible for Being Here at night. I would still be paying for heat and groceries and Daniela, and it might, altogether, come to more than Cramond. Nothing has to be done immediately, as long as there is not a health crisis. One damned thing tends to happen after another, at my time of life.

 

One of the three pictures I would want to take with me can’t be found. I certainly can’t leave until it is located.

 

And you’re absolutely right, Jenny, that maintaining the flat in Drummond Place as a reserve of books and knitting supplies would be an expensive luxury.

 

Meanwhile, I got a bit more of Lilias Day sleeve done today:




The body was entirely done at Cramond. It’s wonderful what you can do when you have nothing else to do. It looks as if the size is coming out about right. (What? Me, swatch?)

5 comments:

  1. A compromise could be private daily care, or private overnight care. Homeinstead proved very good for my godmother. Very pleasant staff, one of a small team of 2 or 3, came in everyday for an hour at the same time to do whatever was wanted; from washing her hair, to a spot of cleaning after a mishap to looking out books or just making a cup of coffee and chatting. They cost aboit £30 per hour, or thereabouts (2019), minimum visit 1 hour. If my godmother hadn't liked the carer, they would have changed them. We kept in close contact to check all parties were happy. There are a number of companies providing tailor-made solutions of this k8nd, worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:33 PM

    As you say, health crises can make the move into a care home inevitable. But it is a good idea to have a plan of action in place. My friend's aunt packed the same suitcase she had used when leaving home to work as a nurserymaid many years before, treating it as one more stage in her long life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked for many years as a cook general, doing whatever was needed. Mostly I was there to make sure meals were eaten, and medicines taken. I worked for an agency, and didn't stay longer than five weeks anywhere, but went back again and again to some people.. I would think someone like my younger self would do you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:20 AM

    Jean, I certainly don't envy you and the decisions you have to make. However, you have your wits about you and a loving family and I am sure whatever is decided will be the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary L:ou4:09 PM

    Reading KristenM's comment got me thinking about my grandmother. She lived with us for quite a long time when she couldn't live alone, then when my mother went back to work and we were all in school she was too unsteady and a bit 'wifty' to be left on her own. My mother found a variety of home carers through church. Gramma was fond of several, others had to go. My grandmother was from Ireland, but the Irishwoman wasn't approved. She dismissed her as "the witch of Endor!"

    ReplyDelete