Wednesday, June 29, 2022

 

Wimbledon, knitting, sore hip. I’ll start with the hip.

 

Last week it was x-rayed, you’ll remember, and then I had to make an appt to talk to a doctor by telephone. That day was today, and our own doctor rang up (not just a stray body from the practice). He said the hip is badly arthritic, no surprise, and recommended surgery. It won’t get better by itself, he said. We considered the possibility of going private, but his guess at what that might cost was really rather too much for comfort, so he has put me forward for an NHS hip which might, these days, mean waiting quite a while. My sister doesn’t think I’m a very good project for surgery anyway.

 

But it’s dreadful to think of hobbling on like this forever. I still enjoy cooking; getting around the kitchen with a zimmer frame is very slow and very awkward. I made some panzanella for my lunch today. It was delicious, but it took hours.

 

So that’s something to think about.

 

The knitting has inched forward. It doesn’t flow over the fingers like colour patterns of old. I wondered if I’d be happier with a longer needle, at least until the next set of decreases, so I’m trying that. EZ says somewhere I think that 24” long is all you’ll ever need, and that’s what I was using, but it was a tight fit.

 

Wimbledon continues very satisfying. The final Centre Court match today will be Andy Murray against a man named Isner. In 2018, I think it must have been, Rachel won the chance to buy Centre Court tickets for Men’s Semi-final day. I went down to join her in the enjoyment of them. Isner was one of the players in the first match. Nadal, I remember, was scheduled for the second match. But the first one turned out to be an epic, history-making bore. It went to five sets, and in those days there was no tie-break in fifth sets. It went on to a score of something like 26-24. They’ve changed the rules as a result: nowadays we have tie-breaks in the fifth set. But Rachel and I are unlikely ever to forgive Mr Isner and Whoever-It-Was.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:14 PM

    The HIP Dilemma - I am sorry to hear about the hip problem. It does seem to have gotten bad very rapidly. Janet in Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:13 PM

    Jean, the idea of hip replacement might seem daunting or even scary but unless there are other serious health issues that makes surgery riskier for you the benefit to your quality of life is substantial. Your current pain and disability puts you at risk for a fall which we all know can have serious consequences with age. You seem so energetic otherwise, a new hip will allow you to do many of the things you’ve been missing: walking, gardening on your steps and maneuvering around your wonderful kitchen. Recovery from hip replacement surgery is relative fast (compared to knee). In any case I’m glad you finally have an answer and a plan forward. Looking forward to an updated photo of your current knit as the yoke knitting commences!
    (Lynda, in Massachusetts)

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar9:55 PM

    People I know who have had hip replacements have recovered well. Meanwhile, there are better quality walking frames, with wheels (they are _not_ wheelchairs!), and some have seats built in, and can carry stuff or provide a rest. Perhaps one of those would work better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of a better thing to spend money on. It's your health and quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:02 AM

    Jean, I think I would consider the cost of the private hip replacement in comparison with, say, a month or two at the Cramond Home, and weigh up how many months or years of independence might be gained by progressing towards a speedy surgery rather than waiting however long. I don't know what the current waiting list is round you for hip surgery but I have heard it is over a year in some parts of England. Perhaps you could ask your doc for a realistic assessment?

    The issue, while you wait, is that the pain is preventing you from moving and exercising - and this is inevitably going to cause muscle wastage and loss of strength. This increases the risk of a fall - and you will recall from your husband's experience that a serious fall can be hard to recover from and may well lead to permanent loss of independence. I know I am not telling you anything you are not well aware of already.....it's the standing back and reflecting around the situation which is hard to do.
    My father suffered hip pain for years with little complaint: when he finally could not put weight on it safely, he was too frail from lack of exercise to be considered for a replacement either privately or otherwise. I think that would have been his biggest regret. His family certainly wish it could have been done differently.

    Very best wishes as you tackle the issue. And if you did not remember to ask for a prescription for effective pain relief, it might be a great plan to get back in touch and sort that out now so at least you don't feel so miserable while you get it sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JennyS6:47 AM

    Jean, how about getting someone to contact the local private hospitals and get a price for the hip replacement surgery? The doctor's guess might be mistaken, depending on whether any local patients have followed this route, and I am a great believer in makin a decision based on accurate information.
    Good luck with it all
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've come to the conclusion that when one is older, it's time to spend the 'rainy day' money. Especially if it will have a great impact on 'here and now' and 'near future' happiness. We've just paid £££££ to have my husband's cataracts done privately and the difference it has made was worth every £.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:39 AM

    Regarding the 24 inch needle- I think that EZ enjoyed the frugality that having fewer needles represented. And she must have had very strong hands. However, you may find some of the old joy in colorwork on a 36.

    Phyllis in Florida, USA
    (formerly of NJ, We’ve moved. The current knitting is unpacked, and teasing me as I sort out a new kitchen)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:24 AM

    Get the best doctor possible. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Lou1:58 PM

    I have friends with recent hip replacements and muscle wasting through delay is a serious consideration. I gave up the 24” needle theory long ago and never looked back! 32” is my more commonly used, or even 40” if it is a larger sweater. So much easier on the mind and the hands!

    ReplyDelete