Saturday, June 25, 2022

 

A long day. Michaela (Daniella’s summer substitute) came early. The rest of the day rather dragged. Archie will come tomorrow (postponed from today) and I think we ought to try to walk – with little hope of success.

 

That sounds gloomier than I feel. Knitting went forward well. I have set the colour pattern for the yoke of my Lilias Day. When I actually faced up to it, I had a moment of doubt. The basic pattern covers 24 stitches. The whole pleasure of colour knitting lies in symmetry and rhythm. However, despite the long repeat, all is well. And I can tell you that, despite my having done no stitch counting during the recent plain-vanilla stretch which introduced quite a few decreases and established the yoke, it came out perfectly, to the stitch. I was prepared to do a modest bit of fancy footwork, if necessary.

 

Wordle: thank you for your comment, rheather. I do emphatically agree that part of the pleasure of Wordle is that it’s over and done with so soon. I think a lot of us share your experience of not being able to remember today’s word, even half an hour afterwards. It took me five again today. I was very proud of my third line  -- WEALD. I don’t know what it means, but it met the requirements: A in the third place, a green; E somewhere else, a brown; and none of the already-excluded letters repeated. Everybody else in my little group did better, but never mind.


I've finished my re-read of "Tiger in the Smoke". It's good, all right. I hadn't fully grasped, from previous readings, that it takes place in "real time": the opening scene runs on continuously until the final one. Some characters get some sleep, others not.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 PM

    Hi Jean,
    I love reading your Wordle notes. My sisters and I do it every day and post our results once everyone has finished. We try not to GLOAT over our successes. Today I finished in 4 having been sure my 3rd word was it! So annoying to have the last 4 letters come up green but the pesky 1st letter isn't right. We agree that the whole exercise should be done quickly (but carefully).
    Your Lilias Day sounds lovely. My latest knitting project is on tiny needles...also it is called the Tiny Tassels Shawl. It would be perfect TV knitting if the needles were larger and not so slippery. Why did I choose this yarn?
    Good luck with walking tomorrow.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar11:25 PM

    Given that the definitions are exactly opposite - either a woodland or an open area of rolling upland, I think we may be forgiven for not knowing exactly what it means.

    ReplyDelete