Friday, May 05, 2023

 

A peaceful day, grey and slightly chill. Helen has just been here, on her way to visit an old friend somewhere south, to watch the coronation with her. Back tomorrow.

 

My main achievement has been to get the knitting straightened out. Much tinking. It carried me back to the beginning of the first border pattern round, and I seized the opportunity to set off in the other direction as I was unhappy, garter stitch or no, with the side that was becoming the wrong side. I’ve now done four border rows – that is, all the way around, all four borders, four times – and I think I’m set fair.

 

I tried listening to/watching the new Fruity Knitting, about the Swiss Knitting Festival, but it was too distracting.

 

Comments. Anonymous, I had much your idea about the driveway. But David (being a lawyer?) very much doesn’t want to move in until we have established legal access.

 

My sister doesn’t think I should write about the driveway here. That leaves me feeling that I shouldn’t write about Biden and the Coronation, either, although the chances of the President stumbling upon this blog and being offended are very slim. 


Somewhere in the Dark or Middle Ages a committee – I’m sure it was a committee – was charged with drawing up an official list of the sacraments. Seven, as it turned out, but Coronation almost made the cut and has much in common with a sacrament. I don’t know of any other nation – perhaps Japan? – which has a comparable ceremony. The British one goes back to William the Conqueror. You’re absolutely right, Chloe, that there’s every difference between an elected, political figure and an anointed king.

 

The trouble with refusing the invitation is that, once done, it can’t be undone. Like staying away from a family wedding. Still, I’m sure Biden won’t let it worry him, and if the King feels a bit sore, he’s far too well brought up to let it show.

 

Wordle: Another toughie. I thought I was beaten, but finally scraped home with six. Ketki, too. Rachel and Alexander needed five – not much better. Thomas, Mark, and Theo got it in four.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Your sister may be right about posting here about your thoughts. Not sure - are you the owner of the property? if so, then I would stop posting about it. maybe just - things progressing or something like that - vague comments.
    Also I imagine you can edit your previous posts - and remove any mention of the driveway situation. and people involved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:44 PM

    Re your sister’s advice, the old saying “the least said is the easiest mended” comes to mind. Hopefully the neighbor does not read knitting blogs, but even if he were to make an exception for your blog, you have hardly defamed him among a group of fellow knitters! But if you think it more prudent to refrain from posting about the driveway….well, I find the subject intriguing and will miss the updates. Perhaps you can tell us the outcome when the dust settles, or the flooding is averted, or whatever?

    As for expressing your opinions of Pres Biden, please don’t stop posting! I like him very much (so my opinions often are diametrically opposite to yours) but I enjoy reading your thoughts nonetheless. And surety he would not be offended by anything you’ve written here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was doomed by Wordle this morning as my 2 starters brought me one lonely 0 (in the wrong place). But an extremely lucky third guess brought me lots of help and I got it in 4! Makes me feel like I won something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:17 PM

    I agree with Anonymous about you expressing your thoughts on Biden. Or anything. Write what you wish! when you first wrote about him not attending the coronation, I was surprised. Given that no president had ever been to one, seemed okay with me. I’ve thought about it more, thanks to your remarks, and have changed my mind. It’s too bad. However, in the current political climate I believe he/his advisors are probably more concerned about anti-monarchy backlash. Too bad. The opposition here (US) would love to jump on that. Biden does have English ancestry as well as Irish. His last name Biden comes from the English side. I think he was heavily influenced by his Irish grandparents the Finnegans with whom he lived as a child. Well, I wish he had attended. I will be up by 3 am Saturday morning here to watch.

    I read daily and enjoy all your news. Except I wish you were feeling better.

    Harriet in California

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:41 AM

    Mrs B looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar6:23 PM

    Congratulations on getting the knitting sorted out.

    ReplyDelete