Monday, May 15, 2023

 

I phoned Archie, who texted Helen, who came here and got the kitchen window closed when she finished teaching her mosaic lesson yesterday. A great relief. There was once, years ago, when the window was propped open like that with my brass mortar (as in “mortar and pestle”) and in my struggle to shut the window, it fell out. It was – is – a heavy object. It could have killed one of the neighbour’s small daughters, and wouldn’t have done an adult much good. It turned out they weren’t even in Edinburgh at the time, but the memory still frightens me. Helen, who is a great one for Getting Things Done, thinks it might be a good idea to get the sash cord fixed so that we could open and shut the window like normal human beings.

 

The weather was off-and-on-y today, and blowy. I didn’t go out. Alexander came to see me. He seemed in good form. Their offspring are home from university for the summer. They are hunkering down on the shores of Loch Fyne.

 

Knitting went well. I’ve now done 33 of the 73 rows in the borders of the current shawl. Not yet halfway, even if you disregard the fact that eight stitches are added every other row.

 

A dear friend who reads the blog brought me a pack of delicious British asparagus. I made some more hollandaise for it after all, but I don’t think it was a good idea. It’s too rich for my elderly stomach. Mai piu, as I remarked the last time I climbed to the top of Mount Vesuvius.

 

Wordle: We were remarkably uniform on four today, except that Thomas had three, and Theo needed five. Alexander is getting a bit tired of it. He thinks it has changed recently and that we have more tricky words. My “winning streak” has reached 33, its highest point since the NYTimes reset my score. I think it was fifty-something before.

3 comments:

  1. =Tamar7:13 AM

    Do get that cord fixed. It may seem like a small thing but it is such little things that add up.

    33 rows and not yet halfway! If it weren't for having to track the pattern, one could knit on until it "feels big enough", but where's the fun in that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:43 AM

    It is so human to procastinate if the issue is problematic (distasteful, expensive, difficult to set in motion, etc.), but we generally reap the consequences (thinking suffering from cold and rainy air - not trying to hold dangers to others over your head. I was thinking a cane with a hook could bring the can In not Out). So this is another encouragement to get the cord fixed. (Maybe Helen?). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou3:04 PM

    I grew up in an old house with many broken sash cords that my father would eventually fix, then another would need it. He was more afraid of little fingers being crushed. In your current situation, fixing it is worth the minor cost. It does make me smile to think how long it has been that way - we live with these things without even thinking about it until it become necessary. I had more asparagus last night, melted some butter with lemon juice, as close to Hollandaise as I am likely to get.

    ReplyDelete