Thursday, May 25, 2023

 

It has been another effortful day, helped forward by sunshine. Helen is safely back from Dumfries House where I think she enjoyed herself. The King wasn’t there, I gather. I don’t really know whether my problem is just that my hip is worse – that is undoubtedly true – or whether I have also declined in some other respect. Pain/discomfort is in itself tiring, and the effort of dragging myself around the house adds to the difficulty. Appetite is poor.

 

However, I got two full rows of knitting done again. At this pace, I should finish the borders in a fortnight or so, and that will leave plenty of time for the edging before we get the baby in September. The second ball of yarn is nearing its last gasp. You may remember that I abandoned the first one as I finished the centre, in case the skeins were visibly different  I can’t see any difference. This time – changing in mid-border –there’ll probably be one.

 

I’ve finished Pride and Prejudice and re-embarked on Mansfield Park. Where next? Two of my favourite Times columnists, Giles Coren and Dr Mark Porter, mentioned Martin Amis on the same day recently, and both said they had never read him. Neither have I, and I don’t think he’d suit my present mood. Dr Porter went on to tell us about oesophageal cancer, which sounds remarkably unpleasant; Coren wrote about fathers and sons.

 

Wordle: I scored four, early in the day, and for quite a while hoped that we would all have the same score. Theo, alas, spoiled it with a three – just before noon, British time. We haven’t heard from his father Roger in London.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:31 PM

    Do please try pain relief, Jean. You would sleep better and also ge less tired. JennyS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't paracetemol pain relief?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:53 PM

      Have you tried ibuprofen for pain relief? It acts as an anti-inflammatory and might be more helpful.
      A further thought, has your GP prescribed any medication for your hip? Anyone on that waiting list is likely to experience what they euphemistically call 'discomfort' and surely GPs expect to prescribe for that.
      Helen (anon)

      Delete
    3. Anonymous5:48 AM

      Paracetamol is indeed a mild form of pain relief, but is not sufficient for many types of pain. My father did not find it adequate for his hip pain - and he had the same joint problem you have described. You can take paracetamol with ibuprofen, which is a different type of medication and acts in a different way so that they are complementary. Or there are many other options which need a doctor to prescribe them. If you are taking the full daily dose of paracetamol and it is not sufficient, I would definitely look into other options. Some people can't take ibuprofen because it doesn't combine well with some other medication which they have to take - so that is worth checking. But the GP will know best. Anyone who needs hip surgery is sure to feel a lot of pain and the GPs are expert in prescribing for this. Good luck with it.
      JennyS

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Pain takes up a lot of brain space. And it fatigues the body as muscles are working in a compensatory fashion to avoid the pain. Add to that the body's constant tension as it anticipates pain. Hoping that you get some relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Being in pain is very tiring mentally and physically. Have you read 'Miss Buncle's Book' by D E Stevenson? I found it light and amusing.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:21 AM

    If you have poor appetite, do you also lack thirst and therefore forget to drink water? Very common at this age. Very important to drink enough water. I can’t remember the recommended amount, but at least three glasses per day, maybe even five. Probably not after 6 p.m. or you will be up all night. Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar10:52 AM

    I took high-dose ibuprofen for years before surgery removed the need, and I highly recommend it. If I had known about the synergy with paracetamol, that might have made it possible for me to lower the dose. Everything including tea has multiple effects, so do ask your doctor or pharmacist.

    ReplyDelete