Monday, May 08, 2023

 

Mostly grey today, with plenty of rain this morning. It’s time we had a full-scale Day in May.

 

We’re still enveloped in the Coronation weekend here. Today is the day we are all supposed to do some voluntary work. Since visiting the housebound elderly counts – it said so on the radio – and since both Helen and Archie have been here today, they can both tick that box. Tomorrow we can get back to work on the doctor: has he received the news of last week’s x-ray yet? And…?

 

I got some more knitting done – I’ve done 13 rows so far. There are 73 – I couldn’t resist counting. Every other row – every pattern row – adds eight stitches. I’m still finding it very difficult to remember where I am in the pattern repeat. Never mind a podcast – I mustn’t let my quiet thoughts wander. It’s an easy pattern, as I’ve said. The main manoeuvre is k3tog. But how many stitches until the next one? 3? 4? 6? I’m not finding it easy at all. But things are going well, essentially, and I can see the overall pattern beginning to emerge.

 

Comments: Lots of Anonymous yesterday. Blogger must be worse than usual.

 

Anonymous 1: I do agree that in a country the size of the US, there ought to be a better Democratic candidate than Mr. Biden. Buttigieg? Warren? (or is she too old by now?) There’s still time for an unknown hero to walk into town, as Adlai Stevenson did long ago. When I got home from Oberlin for the summer holiday in 1956, my mother had not yet heard of him, and she was keen on politics.

 

Anonymous 2: It does indeed make a difference if Kate Davies’ Advent calendar produces a whole 25 grams of wool every day. I’m glad for her sake that it sold out. I had an extra promotional email yesterday or the day before and feared she had too many unsold. Although of course if the yarn is balls of 25gr, they can just go back into stock.

 

Anonymous 3: I, too, think Charles is a good king, although I suspect I’m not the only one who is still struggling with the transition. The Princess of Wales? Who’s that?

 

Wordle: Four for me, my least-liked score. Not a disgrace – others found it difficult. Thomas, Theo and Roger joined me with four. Ketki and Alexander both needed five. Today’s stars were Mark and Rachel: three!

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the Advent calendar, but that's just the magpie instinct in me. I would never be able to bring myself to use the dear little skeins. Would a couple of zauberballs or similar yarns separated into their different colours and made into a calendar be a substitute, I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:23 PM

    I find that music as a background is much more helpful during the tricky parts than anyone talking, whether podcast, or audiobook or even in-person conversation. As much as I love those voice things I’ve ripped back too much to continue with them. Of course for miles of stockinette, they are perfect. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou4:48 PM

    Jean, I thought of you as we ate our first asparagus harvest of the season!! Delicious~!

    ReplyDelete