Saturday, May 06, 2023

 

Well, that was splendid, and rather sweet. I trust we all watched at least a bit of it. I thought the King looked old.

 

 The BBC does a weekly podcast with top journalists, called Americast. I enjoy it. I heard it yesterday. Amongst other topics, the coronation came up, and they agreed with me that Biden’s reason for not coming was silly. In 1953, one of them said, crossing the Atlantic was a matter of five or six days at sea – “and then it took another two days to get to London from Southampton”. No, it didn’t. The boat train was right there at the dock, and it got you to London in an hour or so. Even  top journalists are disconcertingly young these days!

 

Mrs Biden got here a day early. I think she might have enjoyed a day to rest and sip tea and adjust to the time difference, but in fact she was taken on what sounds to me like a singularly boring tour of London by the Prime Minister’s wife. The King’s revenge? She stood up to it heroically.

 

I knit carefully and slowly on, even while watching the coronation, and managed to put in another four rows. (The shawl borders are being knit back and forth, with one corner open.) Rachel phoned the other day. Lizzie and Dan were about to have the scan which will tell them this baby’s sex. I don’t think I want to be told.

 

Wordle: I got a three! It was the best score among the cisatlantic players. Theo, however, spoiled my fun with a three of his own. Fours, generally, elsewhere, except that Rachel needed six, and Roger failed. I have something to say about today's word, but I will probably have forgotten by tomorrow when I can say it. 

7 comments:

  1. What a super production by the BBC. I thought the King looked tired but not surprisingly . Very stressful occasion I think. We do pageantry so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:13 PM

    He did look old and tired and I think that the powers that be had too much makeup on his face. If you look closely at the close-ups you can see it very clearly. I think it's probably because he tends towards redness of the face but I think they overdid it and it made him just look old and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:14 PM

    That was me, Jenny from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:49 PM

    I agree. He actually “youthened”, it seemed to me, near the end of the ceremony, the main stressed being over. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:19 PM

    I actually got up at 5 AM to watch the entire Coronation. Raised Episcopalian, I was brought back to my youth singing in the choir of our High Church in Illinois. I thought a lot about my mother, a true Anglophile. I loved all the pageantry and ignored all the quips about Prince Harry.
    Charles did look tired but I can imagine the stress and he must also have been thinking of his mother. Imagine, in order to be king his mother must die.
    Sarah in Manhatttan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Lou3:05 PM

    I saw a bit online - I spotted a naughty horse in the parade and then searched to find it crashed a barrier and stepped on a police officer's foot. The rider handled it beautifully. I wish we had been able to see close ups of all the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane-Beth4:47 PM

    Pictures of the embroidery are available online at the Royal School of Needlework and at Hand and Lock, who also embroidered the outfit that Penny Mordaunt wore.

    ReplyDelete