Saturday, May 13, 2023

 

Another May day. I sat out on the step again. Saturday foot traffic is different from a weekday, and more abundant. No professional dog=walkers. Lots of family groups. Joggers, about as before.

 

What is it like if you live in California? Is May just like any other month?

 

Today’s excitement was a trip to the Ocean Centre in Leith for another Covid jag. Helen’s husband David, newly arrived from Thessaloniki,  drove me. I had tried, in vain, to get the appointment transferred to somewhere more convenient. All went well. We got back in plenty of time for me to have a nap, but I sat in the kitchen for a while to catch my breath and then it was too late. I’ll go to bed even earlier than usual and hope to be ready for the excitements of Sunday.

 

So, not much knitting. I got two long rows done, on the borders of the current shawl. Better than nothing. I decided that my difficulties are not entirely due to old age and brain fog. An easy-looking lace pattern with widely-spaced motifs demands a lot of counting and much attention, when you finally arrive at the next motif, to ensure that it lines up properly with what came before. Mental-process-wise, much the same is demanded for Fair Isle knitting, but it’s much easier to see the colours in the last row and there will rarely be many stitches to count.

 

Wordle: We were all threes and fours today – four for me. WordleBot didn’t really need to point out to me that since my second starter-word contributed nothing, I could perfectly well have gone from the first one to my line-three guess. Which was wrong, of course, but, according to WordleBot, left only one possibility, if only I could think of it. Mark, Ketki, Thomas, and Roger were my fellow fours, making a narrow majority. Three for everyone else.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I did a wordle! I think it was 4 or 5, I was so surprised I forgot to look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:23 PM

    Three cheers for the next COVID vaccination! Glad you could be driven to the appointment.
    I dropped by a pharmacy for mine on Friday. So far just a slightly sore arm, negligible.
    In Toronto we are really waiting for May spring weather after long winters. Spring is very short - it will likely already be quite warm and summery right after the lilacs are finished blooming. I won't be complaining though.
    keep well!
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar7:06 AM

    I also got another Covid vaccination. Slightly sore for a couple of days. The weather in MD is being cold at night and hot enough in the day to raise temperatures in the upper floors of the house as well as in the car. It's t-shirt weather at noon, jacket at night, Plus rain. My old notes remind me that this is typical from at least 2016.
    You make a good point about the difficulty with widely spaced motifs. Stitch markers help but there is still counting to do, to confirm marker placement. Congratulations on getting long rows done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ask what May is like in California. I live about 40 miles south of San Francisco and we are having a glorious Spring. The heavy winter rains have encouraged hills to turn green and flowers to bloom. The hills are just starting to turn golden brown since the winter rains have ceased.

    ReplyDelete