Tuesday, May 16, 2023

 

An off-and-on day, fairly chill. I wouldn’t have gone out anyway, it being bath day. Every week I worry a little bit more about whether disaster will strike. Every week, so far, all goes well. It’s getting in and out of the tub which is the stressful part, especially in. The manoeuvre involves the need to rely, however briefly, on the untrustworthy leg. I wouldn’t dream of attempting it with the support of anyone less than Daniella.

 

Not much knitting. I’m in the middle of a pattern row. I’ll attempt a bit more this evening, perhaps. Each of the four borders is the same, of course. That means that just as one masters the pattern, it’s time to forget it and more on.

 

I watched my current favourite on-line cook, Kenji Lopez-Alt,  making aioli on youtube for his asparagus today. Maybe I’ll attempt that, the next time I get some. It’s not as rich as hollandaise. Or why don’t I just do butter and lemon juice like you, Mary Lou (comment yesterday)? What more is needed? Kenji lives in California. I was interested to learn that even there the asparagus season is brief and intense and wonderful – and the rest of the time, asparagus comes from Peru, just as it does in Edinburgh. That whole country must be blanketed in asparagus, somehow rotated to be available all year.

 

Today I had a desperately healthy Mindful Chef lunch involving, amidst much else, sunflower mince – new to me, and not nearly as bad as it sounds.

 

Where did I read recently that the American inventress of Mother’s Day repented of the monster she had unleashed and tried to suppress it? Here, it is still observed on mid-Lent Sunday, so we’re past it for this year. The actual day is getting more and more Americanised, but it remains fixed in the ecclesiastical calendar.

 

Wordle: We were spread all over the place today. Roger got a two, of which he was deservedly proud. Thomas scored three. Mark and Ketki and I had fours – my fours line is pulling remorselessly ahead of my threes. Theo had a five, poor Rachel needed six. Alexander, so far, would appear to have carried his disapproval (see yesterday) to the point of not doing it at all. But there’s still time. Our little group depends on him.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:27 PM

    I’m sure there are various aids which would help you and Daniella on bath day . You can buy them on line or check our Lloyds Chemists as they have a catalogue and it could be purchases at your local branch. Maybe time to think of having a walk in shower installed. Well done with the knitting .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:21 PM

    I’ve never celebrated Mother’s Day, or Father’s Day for that matter. My father said we either celebrate our parents every day of the year, or not at all — we opted for every day. Cam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou12:54 AM

    I read that piece on Mother's Day - it may have been in the little news feed on my iphone. I got wordle in TWO today! Sheer luck. My first word allowed only one answer. I do enjoy Kenji Alt-Lopez, but read his website, Serious Eats. I didn't know he also had a You Tube channel. I'll have to look. Asparagus are also good with a vinaigrette . I may try that if the crop lasts long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:10 AM

    I see the point about Mother’s Day. At the same time there are probably many unappreciated Mothers whose family needs a strong hint to acknowledge all that she does for them. I baby-sitted for one such family and I still think of her on Mother’s Day 60 years later. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Whoops. BabySAT. I knew that sounded wrong but couldn’t remember the correct word at five in the morning. Chloe

    ReplyDelete