Wednesday, May 10, 2023

 A quiet, grey day. I didn’t go out. The  big excitement, if you could call it that, was an item on the BBC news pages – it may still be there – under the headline “The grandfather they said would never walk again”. Here’s the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-65459248. The world is full of such stories. The point of this one is that the (presumably well-to-do) grandfather was at Cramond, the nursing home where I spent a pleasant fortnight a year ago. The physiotherapists have got him whizzing around the garden with his walking frame, and are hoping to promote him to a stick. I hope to convalesce there if I ever have this famous hip operation. No news of that front.

 

The knitting has gone well. I’ve now done 21 rows, of 71, on the borders of the current shawl. I won’t be able to keep up this pace forever, as stitch numbers increase. I like to leave things so that I can start the next day with a plain-vanilla wrong-side row. That’s a great incentive, in the weary evening, to get through a last pattern row. So far so good.

 

More enthusiasm from Meg: and again I’ve followed her enthusiasm. “Fair Isle Knitting” by Carina Olsson. Translated from the Swedish, and not yet published. Again I’m afraid I’ve ordered it from Amazon. Even if the price is equal – I didn’t even look – I won’t have to pay any postage.

 

Comments: Mary Lou, I don’t think we have anything as good as your organic hollandaise sounds. Jars, yes, bot… I haven’t done anything yet, but mustn’t leave my store-boughten asparagus another day.

 

Wordle: We were all over the place today. I led the charge with a three, and was soon joined by Ketki with another. Alexander was a couple of hours behind with yet another one. But Mark got two. However did he manage that? Rachel was the only four. Theo and Thomas had five.

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    I saw that wonderful story about the benefits of physiotherapy and determination combined. The gentleman in question is the widower of novelist Joan Lingard. I'm going to keep that story in mind for the future.....
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou12:54 AM

    Well, the jarred hollandaise is no doubt still better than my homemade! Smart to allow yourself to start on a plain round- a bit to get settled in. The increases on every round projects always trick me. I think I'll be finished in no time, but then...I am starting a series of classes using baby sweaters to learn all the basic sweater-making techniques. That way, it might seem less daunting to the surprising number of knitters who haven't yet tackled a sweater. I start with a top-down raglan, another of those tricksters that make one think they'll be done in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Good idea Mary Lou. I took a six week sweater making class a long time ago and never could catch up from week to week. I finally resorted to knitting a sweater for a stuffed bear and I was able the complete most of the sweater except for the final kitchenering up. It was, obviously, a Beautiful sweater and I loved that thing for years. A very determined-sounding yarn purveyor at a yarn festival gave a course where your very first project was a sweater. Her farm was too far away or I would have hopped on it!..Jean, I, too have heard those stories about dramatic improvement, including in a Hollywood movie. It’s amazing how Hollywood often mirrors real life. I hope so in your instance! Chloe

    ReplyDelete