Saturday, May 20, 2023

 

It has been another rather dull day, weather-wise, health-wise, spirits-wise. I have abandoned all else and started re-reading “Pride and Prejudice”. It’s not as good as “Mansfield Park”, but it's at least cheerful, which is what's wanted. 

 

            Knitting progressed at least reasonably well. I did two more long, long rows. There is only one more pattern row to go with major stretches of st st to be counted. After that, more motifs are introduced into the long, empty stretches, and after that we have eight or ten rows of a small, all-over pattern which will probably have me longing for more st st to count. The pattern repeat is 32 stitches or so. I don’t think more markers would help much, weavinfool. I’ve got the four sides of the shawl marked off from each other, of course. At the beginning of each repeat I'm able to check my position with reference to the pattern below. And so far, so good,

 

I listened to a not-very-interesting broadcast about eating disorders during my nap. It is a fearful affliction. I wondered if alcohol is ever used in its treatment? Most of us who have struggled with a diet at any point, remember how a glass of wine with supper can prompt us to abandon all caution and eat another three roast potatoes. Let alone two glasses.

 

Wordle: Rachel and I were the dunces, with five. Both of us got stuck with ???, grn, grn, grn, ???. There were too many possibilities. No one else had that configuration, and they all did better. Threes for Alexander, Mark, Ketki, and Theo. Thomas and Roger scored four. I wonder if Roger (my brother-in-law) is in London yet.

 


2 comments:

  1. =Tamar11:45 PM

    I doubt that alcohol would help. Part of the issue seems to be a feeling that they can't control any other part of their lives, so forcing them to lose control would be resisted.

    We're never satisfied, are we? When things are complex we long for dullness, and vice versa.

    The weather prediction was for 80-F (roughly 27-C) today in sunny-with-some-rain MD, but it didn't feel that hot. 54-F (12-C) predicted for tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou3:42 PM

    Jean, i was thinking of you as I fell asleep last night listening to Melvyn Bragg and Co. on Virgil's Georgics. It may take me a while to get through it, but it is quite interesting. I set the podcast to turn off after 15 minutes, and generally have to go back a bit each night, but I get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete