Monday, May 29, 2023

 I continue to mend. Indeed, I am close to the point where “mending” is not easy to determine, since last week’s norm was so low. I got up and got dressed this morning, instead of slouching around all day in my dressing gown. I stayed up all morning, instead of going back to bed after breakfast.  Those are the measures by which I can claim to be “mending”. James has gone back to London. Alexander was willing to make the trip and to take over for him here, but not keen on bank holiday traffic. We decided against.

 

Thank you for your comments about my peculiar cat. Kirsten, I think you’re thinking in the right direction.  Poor Paradox thinks she is defending something – her house or me or a non-existent box of kittens. She has recently been spayed (alas) and may be suffering from upset hormones. James has cats, and his trousers may smell of them to the sensitive feline nose. I’m sure Perdita enjoyed having someone to sympathise with her about That Cat.

 

I’m nearly finished with Mansfield Park, and have arrived at what are certainly the most distressing chapters in all of Jane Austen, if not all of English literature – when Fanny Price, who has been raised at Mansfield Park since she was 10, goes home to Portsmouth for the first time, at 19, to visit her family. Her mother is Lady Bertram’s sister. Austen explains all that, brilliantly, in the first few pages. Fanny is distressed at the disorder of the house. She is deeply embarrassed when a friend – a suitor, in fact – from the Mansfield orbit comes to visit. She longs to go back there but everyone seems to have forgotten her – travel wasn’t easy. She needed to be sent for, and arrangements made for the journey. Fortunately I know that everything turns out all right in the end – how could it do otherwise? – but these chapters are still painful to read.

 

Rachel suggests that I go on to The Towers of Trebizond, a brilliant idea. I don’t know where my copy is, but I’ll buy a new one for the iPad.  After that, I hope I’ll be ready for fresh books again.

 

No knitting yet – how long has it been now? Four days? The next row is plain-knit and I feel sure I’ll be up to it tomorrow.

 

Wordle: Another distressing day. My starters gave me four greens. I could think of two letters for the empty slot. I chose the less-obvious one, thinking it to be the more-likely. I was wrong. Four for me. Nobody had it much easier, but Rachel distinguished herself with a three. She had my ???, grn, grn, grn, grn configuration by line two. And must have guessed right. Ketki and Alexander were the other fours. Five for Theo and Mark. Six for Thomas (most unusual). Nothing from Roger, still at sea.

 

Now I must find something brisk and simple to eat, probably Complan. Then bed, in time for The Archers. At naptime I had difficulty swinging my legs into bed – is’s rather high. It was a scary moment.

7 comments:

  1. I, too, am getting over a chest infection which I suspect had been brewing for a week before I started antibiotics. My measures of improvement are cross-stitch (neglected until today) operating the coffee machine (first error free coffee today, without overflowing the cup or letting milk boil over in microwave) and completing a suduko with no mistakes (managed it today at last). So that's promising. But there's still the stairs to tackle at bedtime... So you have my full sympathy, empathy and any other appropriate 'pathy'! Hope you continue to improve, taking everything very and slowly and steadily seems to be the key.
    Your starter word came up trumps for me today in wordle! I use it all the time now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:41 PM

    Glad to hear of improvement with the chest infection. And glad to hear that you had someone there overnight.
    Cats are such funny creatures and hard to understand. Our first cat, a Siamese, was called Ivan the Terrible but he was a sweet chatty being. He loved cantalope and would howl until he was given his share. Oddly he was unimpressed with shrimp. He lived to a ripe old age of 21. We have had a series of cats since then, all living long happy lives.
    I hope you continue your return to health.
    I am reading a fascinating new novel: Still Life by Sarah Winman. It mostly takes place in Florence but also in London. I am enjoying it immensely.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:42 PM

    PS Jane Austen is a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:06 PM

    I did Wordle in Newark Airport, and it took me six tries. Perhaps it was the atmosphere...I have never heard of The Towers of Trebizond, and I've added to my list at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Maybe a stool for the bed? They have these lightweight, collapsible ones here in the U.S. (of A.). Glad your health is returning! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar2:38 PM

    Very good news indeed. You are probably right about the scent of other cats.
    Chloe's suggestion of a footstool sounds reasonable.
    Mansfield Park - I've often wondered whether certain characters in it were black. Austen was so subtle in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Footstools are trip hazards. If you get in touch with Occupational Therapy through your doctor they can come to your home and suggest any aids you may need.

    ReplyDelete