Tuesday, March 30, 2021

 

A fairly productive day. I’m exhausted. Only1890 steps, despite a circuit of the garden with Archie, and my new up-and-down-the-six-steps routine.

 

However, I’ve made my sourdough. Whether successful or not, we won’t know until it comes out of the oven tomorrow. I have high hopes for it. It’s currently proving for a rather brief second time before spending the night in the refrigerator. I knit a few more stripes on the Polliwog sleeve, and realised that it is not impossible in such a situation – narrow stripes on a small sleeve – to keep the unused yarn from wrapping itself around the work, if one pays attention to what is going on.

 

Archie’s main achievement, besides walking me around the garden, was to get Audio Books set up on my iPad, so now I can listen to a complete “Wives and Daughters” while I knit. I used to be able to do that by myself – perhaps on a previous iPad. Once Archie had effortlessly done it, there, sure enough! were the Italian books I used to listen to. So that is a step forward.

 

Gretchen (comment yesterday), I’m inclined to agree with you that it might be interesting to seek out the rest of Mrs Gaskell. At her best, she’s terrific.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, but unlike, say, Dickens, Mrs G is variable. a friend of mine said that she had read "Ruth" first and found it fascinating. I thought it a very poor example and without even the excuse of being social commentary as Mary Barton is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Archie! Audiobooks and podcasts are wonderful for knitting, when your mind wanders too much, you can pause and rewind. If rewind is what one does in this digital set up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found Ruth utterly depressing and then — starting it after — could not finish Mary Barton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I did finish "Mary Barton" but not "Ruth". It did not feel authentic to me - unlike "North and South" which I think is a masterpiece - and has a happy ending.

      Delete
  4. =Tamar3:09 PM

    I have never understood why people want to read fiction that doesn't have a happy ending, or at least a solid resolution of a question (with regard to medical mysteries). There's enough of that in history.

    ReplyDelete