Monday, March 08, 2021

 

The Harry&Meghan show sounds more than a bit tedious, from the snippets we have been vouchsafed, but I have set the timer and will hope to get some knitting done while I watch some of it tomorrow. Shandy, yes, I’ve watched “The Crown” eagerly. I think I enjoyed the earlier bits most, the ones that run parallel to my own youth.

 

Knitting went forward well. The Polliwog is really a most ingenious pattern. I have done the left shoulder shaping on the back, with some nifty short rows. I should finish the back tomorrow. I was worried about size – this is the point in the pattern where it matters. I’ve cast on stitches for the largest size, so wherever the pattern specifies no.-of-stitches, I go for that size. But how many rows to do, remains problematical. Despite the relative fineness of the yarn, my row gauge seems to be about what the pattern orders.

 

It looks more or less OK. And, as I’ve hinted before, babies are pretty shapeless.

 

The mosaicists had another tough day on the measurement front. They left at the end of the afternoon weary and dispirited. They are determined to crack it tomorrow. This is far and away the largest mosaic Helen has ever tackled.

 

Helen and I got once around the garden before all this started. 2296 steps today so far.

 

No reading: the time was spent on short-rowing.

 

And on following your advice, Shandy, and doing a bit of on-line exploration on the subject of accommodation for the elderly in Edinburgh. It’s a depressing topic, needless to say. It’s worth making every effort to stay on my feet, and therefore able to stay here, for as long as possible.

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Short rows are my next area of exploration, although I think I may have done them already when I was knitting some slippers to an ingenious pattern - you end up with something that looks like knitted clogs.
    The Osaka teacosy version has been knitted up, but I still have another 50 or so ends to darn before I approach the Steek Moment. I have tried the proper yarn on the 'proper' size dpns to make a little pocket, and discovered my gauge is so tight it came out like cardboard. So I'm knitting another pouch on 4mm needles so see what I get. People will be getting tea cosies and fair isle pouches for Christmas, I can see.
    My 91-year old father lives in a modern 'very sheltered accommodation' block of flats. The flats are pleasant and I think he's reasonably suited. My parents moved there after my mother became ill (she's no longer with us) and needed carers to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly, your current level of activity, inventive catering and general grip on things should be reassuring. And there is always the possibility of carers coming in to you to meet your needs.
    I too enjoyed the first two series of "The Crown" more, because series 3 lurches from one crisis to another. I won't be watching Meghan and Harry. You will be able to report on how far the whole thing represents a fundamental clash of cultures; after all, you had to adapt to a different way of life yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that stay in your flat with carers as needed is the answer. (Aging in place, in our US housing speak!) I didn’t watch the interview, but sounds like racism played a big part, as well as Harry’s fears related to his mother. I wrote that pattern using German short rows, now I am moving to preferring Japanese, using a safety pin or bit of thread to mark the turn. All work out the same, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar9:19 AM

    Knitting is stretchy and babies grow. As long as it isn't too small, it'll fit eventually, for a while.

    ReplyDelete