Monday, March 01, 2021

 

A pearl of a day. I have often found that March reverses its reputation – In like a lamb, out like a lion. I whizzed around the garden with Helen before she started her day’s work mosaicking. 2294 steps so far.

 

At one point Helen and her colleague found that there was a little bird in the room with them – a long-tailed tit, the colleague said. It is a wonderful room, large and high-ceiling’ed, not much used since my husband died. The bird seemed relatively cheerful. Someone was calling to it from outside. It’s too early in the season for it to have been a fledgling; so perhaps not its mother. It must have been a friend or a sister. Sure enough, soon there were two birds in the room. The mosaicists decamped to the dining room, which they have also requisitioned. And sure enough, again, when they went back, both birds were gone. They shut the window.

 

Some knitting, not a great deal. I’ve done 12 or 13 of the 18 (I think) stripes on the Polliwog, before I split for the arms. That’s when things get exciting.

 

What I have mostly done today is make another batch of kimchi. There’s still plenty of the last one, more than half. That will give the new one plenty of time to ripen before I tuck into it. In the past, I have left it too long and had to resort to store-boughten to bridge the gap. I am as devoted to the stuff as any Korean.

 

A dear friend has been to Waitrose, and brought me some Jerusalem artichokes. Tesco, who normally deliver my groceries, has never heard of them. I shall make myself an easy and delicious soup for my supper.

5 comments:

  1. =Tamar6:23 PM

    Let us know how the soup comes out! I used to grow Jerusalem artichokes. funny, I haven't thought of them in ages. I don't think they sell them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, it is snowing here in the Finger Lakes of New York — so if this is March being lamb-like, I despair for the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had snow two days running, of the nuisance variety. It is supposed to warm up during the week and I am browsing the seed catalogues for flowers. The veggies have all been ordered. It must be fun to have the mosaic team in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny1:39 AM

    -24 and snow here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:12 AM

    It appears I won't be able to Comment for a while but I will be reading along as usual. Chloe

    ReplyDelete