Thursday, December 09, 2021

 

A good day. The sun shone, the wind held off. Archie came, and we got a bit further around the garden than Daniela and I managed yesterday. I knit a bit. A new “Americast” is up – maybe I’ll even knit a bit more and listen to it this evening.

 

Although just for the moment, British politics are more interesting than American. And Boris Johnson has crowned a busy week (it’s not even over) by having a baby.

 

I think maybe ramen will be the answer to my question, what-to-eat-on-Boxing-Day-without-leftovers. The making of it is just complicated enough to keep one busy, and the eating of it is blissfully soothing.

 

Dentistry: I don’t know what a “dam” is, and I suspect I’m glad I don’t. I am worried about Daniela’s root canal. Is it even possible on the NHS, or will they just yank the tooth? The cost, however appalling, is less than a week of residential care, which is what she is saving me from.

8 comments:

  1. I know that in the past I have had root canal work on the NHS - in some instances when I was on free dentistry due to low income and state income supplement. I think it may have changed but would have thought that a partial procedure that needs completing could come under that umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29 PM

    I think if one can afford it, paying for a friend's surgery is a great thing to do, and one that doesn't need any more justification. You don't hear it happen often in our individualistic society but what a wonderful thing to be able to make a friend's worry and health troubles go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar8:35 PM

    Ramen with extras sounds like a good thing for you. Having Daniela there even with tooth issues seems to be a positive influence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you could have a doggy bag of left over turkey and vegetables to add to your noodles. I use all my left overs to make Christmas dinner soup. Even the stuffing goes in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had many root canals, sad to say. What you are doing is a real gift. My experience with the rubber dam wasn’t bad. It’s a this sheet of rubber stretched to isolate the tooth being worked on so it doesn’t risk infection. I am working on some fingerless mitts with helical stripes for a class next month. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friends have helped us out financially in the past; one even rang and asked when we would like a new dishwasher delivered after hearing our old one had given up! If you can help with the cost that would be good.
    I have made such a silly mistake; a couple of inches into my new jumper on circular needles I found I had joined it with a twist. I thought I had checked and double checked! At least chunky yarn doesn't take so long to rip and reknit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand why dentistry is often not covered under health care. Teeth are attached to our skulls! I have had the misfortune of having to have at least 3 root canals, but the good fortune to be able to pay for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand why dentistry, eye exams/glasses and hearing aids aren't covered. To be a full participant in life you need to be able to see and hear to enjoy a get together with friends and family. I'll never forget a coworker who finally got hearing aids and confessed that he had missed out on so much with his grandchildren because he couldn't hear.

    ReplyDelete