Thursday, December 02, 2021

 

Shandy, I was speaking partly in irony, when I suggested that Alexander could solve my television problem because he was a man. Sure enough, things are now much worse than they were yesterday. He switched the Virgin cable box off and on again – always worth trying – and now the screen says “Starting up…” but never gets past that point. I fear I may have to ring up Virgin. Archie is coming tomorrow. He won’t be able to help, I don’t think – despite being a young man -- but might be willing to do the phoning. Which will, of course, take hours.

 

I don’t watch much television, as I’ve said, and I’ve got my beloved iPad on which a certain amount can be viewed. And I don’t have my husband here being cross – he did like to watch television in the evenings, and would expect me to be able to switch it on for him.

 

I got up feeling very shaky this morning, and have accomplished nothing but have at least not fallen down and perhaps feel slightly better.

 

I’ve done a bit of on-line theoretical Christmas shopping (no expenditure yet), but so far – this has happened in other years – have found nothing except presents I would like for myself.

 

The newspapers and magazines are stuffed to the gills with Christmas Dinner in one form or another. Someone should write an article about how to manage if you live alone and can count on being asked out on The Day (=me). What do you eat for the next four days, while everyone else is feasting on leftovers?


Still no cheetahs.

 

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post. All I can say is "keep trying" and my husband would say "yes you are very trying "

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/outage
    There seems to have been problems countrywide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virgin TV is having outage problems across the UK, obviously due to the recent storm.No word on when it will be back up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband always surfs through the technical forums on the internet and comes up with all sorts of information about outages and model numbers with recurrent problems and so on.
    I'm wondering how those poor folk are getting on without electricity. I don't think anything apart from battery torches would be working in our house and we would be eating cereal and cold soup or beans out of cans. Modern houses are SO electric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not order up a little hamper for yourself to get you through the days post-Christmas? Inverawe do a great selection of smoked salmon and meats or a company called Dukeshill do lovely ham and goodies. You could put on a pound or two just looking at their catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the hamper option. Alternatively, put a bid in for some of the leftovers to come home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're lucky, the host will send you home with lots of leftovers, but Shandy's hamper idea is excellent. It reminds me of A Little Princess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. =Tamar8:33 PM

    Belated yes to both the leftovers and the hamper! The friends I have Thanksgiving with even supply the ziploc bags.

    ReplyDelete