Saturday, December 18, 2021

 

No walk today. It was colder, although still open and dry – but I didn’t feel well. I’m coming around now.

 

Three more days until the solstice.

 

However, the main excitement of the day is not any of that, but the arrival of Helen’s youngest son Fergus from Bristol University yesterday evening. She stopped off here with some eggs for me, on the way to the station to meet him. He tested positive for Covid last night – presumably at her instigation – and again this morning, so they are all self-isolating. Her husband David is going to come back from Thessaloniki anyway, as planned, and isolate with them. I think he’s due on Thursday. I don’t know what their middle son Mungo is going to do – he was due home from London one day soon. Meanwhile Fergus feels fine. We think he had Covid last year, when he first went to university.

 

But all this means that I’ll be on my own again, like last year, on Christmas Day. Dear friends from Birmingham had planned to come – they stay with me while visiting their son who lives nearby in a small house. But they have just begged off, too – not a surprise.

 

I do hope I live long enough to look back on all this.

 

No knitting. I spent the potentially active part of the day feeling ill.

 

Language

 

I am increasingly irritated these days by the phrase “mitigate against”, meaning “mitigate”. It is presumably derived by false analogy from “militate against”. I heard it first (on television) from Arlene Foster, then the Northern Ireland supremo, and put it down to ignorance. But it is getting more and more common, and I have heard it recently from a BBC announcer.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Jean! How disappointing! All across the country - and, indeed, the world - plans are being thrown into disarray. But, as Larkin said, this is your Christmas and it is happening to you. I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping you feel better as the weekend continues. Have you managed to get in 'emergency supplies' to replace going out for Christmas lunch, in case it can't happen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear the news regarding Christmas. Is it too late to order a Christmas dinner delivery? I also hope you are feeling better. The longer days are coming. I haven't heard the misusage you mention, but I did start to google and it came up without finishing my typing on lists of commonly confused words. I get irritated by home vs hone. Your friend in crotchety-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won’t be the only one alone at Christmas. Is this the type of situation where the phrase Misery Loves Company comes from?
    I think we are all hoping to live long enough to be able to look back on this. Another awful year is coming to a close.
    I’m thanking bloggers for keeping me going. They get me out of my own world and give me a glimpse into another.
    Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete