Friday, December 31, 2021

 

So much for 2021. I don’t think any of us will be sorry to see it go.

 

I looked up your AeroGarden, Mary Lou. Thank you. It’s very similar to my salad factory. And ads for similar machines have started popping up amongst my Promotions. It must be an idea whose time has arrived. I like your idea of re-using seed pads, choosing seeds ad lib. You’d have to add fertiliser of some sort in the water, presumably? Here’s mine, today:

 


 

The seeds are stuck in little holes in the so-called lingots by some magic glue. In the third from the right (or second from the left, if you prefer) the seeds have somehow come loose from two of the little holes. Maybe they will turn out to be around somewhere, and come up anyway. Maybe three plants will be enough to fill the space – I think that’s probably one of the lettuces. Otherwise 100% germination. And I think you can see, if you peer, that true leaves are beginning to show. It remains great fun.

 

Helen and David and their son Mungo (the Arabist) came to lunch today. Mungo cooked. It was pleasant to sit talking.

 

I’m planning a Dry January, like last year. I’m hoping for rejuvenation, but not expecting any. It was sometime in the middle of Dry January this year, which I kept very faithfully, that I started using a stick to walk about indoors. Now I can scarcely get across the room without it. I like the way the calendar counts the days with me. You don’t get that in Lent.

 

No knitting. I’ve located all the yarns for the Calcutta Cup vest, though, and it’s absolutely top of my resolutions for next year. Or perhaps that's walking, the Calcutta Cup vest second. I didn't go out yesterday or today, although the weather was perfectly possible.

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. =Tamar7:16 PM

    Finding the yarns is Step 1!

    100% germination is amazing. I think some kinds of vegetables are supposed to be thinned after they get going good, so missing three is not a big deal.

    So many people say not to do anything on the first of the year, and then others say to do a little of everything you want to do, as a seed. For some people that's the same thing... :-)
    Have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year from me too. I think watching for the seeds to become little plants is just so exciting, more so than eating them. I'm not making resolutions for the year, just for one month at a time. Getting some of the knitting projects cleared off the needles before casting on anything else is one for January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year from me too. Our old one wasn't too bad until the bug hit us in November - I was only in Hospital a week, bur he needed longer, and we are both still pretty pathetic. The knitting continues and is a comfort. So here's the best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:18 PM

    The salad machine is so cute! and going to be so useful for lunches in dark winter.
    Always glad to see your blog post.
    Buon anno!
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there is a fertilizer to add into the water. The machine tells you on the display when to add water and when to add fertilizer. Also, how many days planted. It's fun. I might enjoy a salad version. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:19 AM

    Happy New Year, Jean, Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Happy New Year, Jean!
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year, Jean

    ReplyDelete