Friday, January 21, 2022

 

I had a struggle to get Freecell this evening, but eventually succeeded. Very odd.

 

I think I’ve decided that I’ve finished knitting wee Hamish’s vest. It remains to finish it. I’m operating without a pattern. Graft the shoulder stitches together? Three-needle bind-off? I incline to the latter. I’ve got time for a corrugated rib – this year’s match is a fortnight tomorrow. But I’ve got to press ahead. The thing is to do the v-neck first. Then I can do an ordinary rib at the sleeve holes, if I run out of time.

 

I still haven’t found those patterns. However I have established that Machu Picchu and Kate Davies’ Coofle are both on my computer, leaving only the leg warmers. I need some soothing knitting right now, and think I will do the first Machu Picchu sleeve next. I’m knitting it bottom-up on vaguely EPS lines, so I don’t really need the pattern for a while. I’ve finished the body, up to the armpits.

 

Sunshine again today, but I didn’t walk. Helen reported -- when she popped in yesterday evening with some soup for me – that David says that a CT colonography is worse than an ordinary colonoscopy. (“colonography” is the word for what I will have; I was wrong, before.) He had some gut problems a couple of years ago, diverticulitis, and is expert in these matters. He said they blew air up his bottom for the colonography and it was very uncomfortable.

 

That was in Greece. They may well do things differently there. I’ve got both hospital letters. According to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, air is blown up inside you for the colonoscopy only. Anyway, the prospect doesn’t worry me. I was brought up on enemas; my mother believed in them. They were undiluted hell. But I survived them, and I don’t think the Royal Infirmary could do anything worse.

 

But once I started thinking about it, I started thinking about the whole thing. Are they looking for cancer? If they find it, won’t the only result be that I’ll be miserable? What is all this about? As a result, I slept badly (v. rare for me) and felt feeble today. And my gut was uneasy, as if worrying about it had unsettled it. I’m feeling better now, and hope to stride forth tomorrow after a good night’s sleep. C. is coming.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 PM

    I suppose if they were to find diverticulitis, they might suggest a diet alteration. But you really aren't complaining of gut issues per se, so it seems unlikely to be helpful.

    I'm not a medical professional, but I think a small colon cancer can be removed in a colonoscopy, without a lot of (more) drama for you, one reason they are so keen on them.

    I think maybe it is best to let next week's problems lie in the future, and just get on with the knitting and salad-growing until then.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. When they discovered a tumour in my father's bowel, which was large enough to block it, they inserted a stent at the same time as the investigation, rather as they do angiograms. That was 14 months ago. He did have to stay in for a week, but returned to his flat and has been gallivanting around on coach tours and trips away ever since, symptom free. He will be 93 in June.... I hope this is an encouragement. I hate tests and investigations, sending off samples of poo and mammograms and the like, but it is the anticipation and fear of the results (usually unfounded) which is harder part. I'll pray; I'm not a Catholic but the nuns taught me the Hail Mary so I'll say some for you and imagine Sister Patricia smiling upon me. I owe her for all the trouble I caused in needlework. (My reports were always along the lines of poor, fair, little effort...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say three-needle bind off. Very study and not stressful to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar8:35 AM

    I agree, three-needle bindoff is just fine. And leg warmers are almost pattern-free, aren't they? Just a tube, really, the ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, three needle bind off for shoulders. So tidy!
    Phyllis in New Jersey

    ReplyDelete