Tuesday, January 18, 2022

 

I’ve got Microsoft Word back, anyway. It was a matter of switching the machine off and on again. Archie was no help – he thinks I should get a new computer. This one is old, as computers go – eight years at least. And it runs Windows 8. That's bad, according to Archie.

 

I didn’t try to go out today – bath day. And I got a get-out-of-jail-free card in the post: a summons from the NHS for a “CT colonoscopy minimum preparation examination”. “Minimum preparation” is still pretty severe – no fruit or vegetables or red meat, minimum fat, minimum dairy, for two days. But sugar and floppy white bread and white pasta are allowed so one shouldn’t faint. There is a little bottle of something to take three times a day while staying near a lavatory. The actual ordeal is on Thursday of next week. Get-out-of-jail-free, because I feel I can not do anything I don’t want to do, between now and then. I will be very tempted to drink a bottle of cider when I get back from the hospital next Thursday, too.

 

I got a bit more knitting done. I think I’ve done enough decreases for the v-neck. From now on, I’ll just add length. My Dry January calendar – on which, as I’ve said, I proudly paste a “Stayed Dry” sticker every evening – serves as a worrying how-is-that-vest-getting-on? calendar, since this year’s Calcutta Cup comes so early in February.

 

And I had a second tasty salad from my Salad Machine today.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. =Tamar6:56 PM

    So they're trying again, right after November 2021, when you managed to consult with doctors who knew their business and prevent it. Talk to the doctors you spoke to before about this - it's harassment, in my opinion. I'm willing to bet that it's because some rules-follower looked at a schedule and ignored everything factual about you as an individual.

    Remember, just two months ago, in November 2021, you (and we) learned that after 75 colonoscopies don't statistically increase life span and are dangerous.

    And that prep is a horror show - two days on white bread and sugar? What if you were diabetic, or near-diabetic?
    Contact your _good_ doctors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't agree with Tamar on this. A close friend has just had a close call, involving no less than three colonoscopies but has now got the all-clear. You will deserve that cider but will feel better if you don't drink it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m all for the colonoscopy for you especially with the minimum prep. The prep was the most horrible thing for me and my.dad couldn’t do it at all. The procedure itself was easy and painless ( with a mild sedative). If you do have sedative you will need to be accompanied home. Also I think it would be wise to have someone with you the night before.due to possible weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please see what Tamar said above. After 75 years of age a routine colonoscopy is not recommended as it can be dangerous. I agree, this is harassment.

    ReplyDelete