Saturday, January 22, 2022

 

You’re quite right, Mary Lou. I’ve got both Machu Picchu and Kate Davies’ Coofle somewhere here on my laptop computer. The leg warmers, no. They were part of a kit from Jamieson & Smith and came on sort of stiff paper, I think. Tamar, they’re Fair Isle leg warmers, so not as easy knitting as they might be.

 

I’ve three-needle bound off the shoulders of Hamish’s Calcutta Cup vest. All is well, except that I’m slightly worried about whether the neck is big enough, given the extraordinary size of the infant head. I won’t do much ribbing, and I won’t do any decreases. It can be a round neck. And I’ll use a stretch bind-off. I may get the neck tacked down on the inside tonight, ready for action tomorrow. I could unpick an inch on one of the shoulders, and knit the edging back and forth…That might be better than worrying.

 

No Freecell so far tonight. Yesterday it suddenly appeared when I was wandering around the screen clicking both left and right. That’s having no effect today, and I can’t think of anything else to try.

 

Do any of you play Wordle? Rachel and Alexander have been pressing it on me. I wasn’t keen, and I’m not very good at word games in general. I tried yesterday and today – and today, to my surprise, I got it. I may have to go on for a while. But it feels like a waste of time, in a way that Freecell doesn’t. I often play that between paragraphs here – and just now, I coaxed it back with a couple of sturdy left clicks.

 

C. came this morning, and we got around the garden. It was slow, and I felt feeble, but a good deal better than yesterday. I forgot my telephone, but she took a picture of the snowdrops for me:




This gives somewhat of an impression, too, of the size of the garden. It's not an entirely trivial walk, if you're as feeble as I am.


9 comments:

  1. You got round the garden! That's an achievement in my book. I ventured as far as our garden and now at half past eight I realize I've forgotten to close the cold frame. Brr. I'm a fan of three needle bind off. I'm going to use it somehow to join the shoulders, and also the sleeves to the body. At least that's the plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar8:54 PM

    Getting around the garden (and outdoors, too) is far more than I do. Though I do deliberately go up and down stairs more often than I used to.

    For what it's worth, when I knit the pullover for my infant niece, I made the neck big enough to go over my own head. Because I measured, and her head was the same size as mine.
    Or you could ask. They measured her torso, after all.

    Sunny and chilly here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sisters got me on Wordle almost a week ago - word games being a big thing in our family - and now I find more and more friends and family members are hooked. A pandemic phenomenon? I'm enjoying it, as it doesn't take much time - I set up my laptop and do it I'm at some little chore, like emptying the dishwasher, and so far usually get it in 3 or 4 tries. My niece in Leicester is resisting because of the competitive approach some of her fellow teachers are taking to it. One of my sisters, an even more avid knitter than I, happened to get it on first try the other day with a kind of natural word for a knitter to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wordle is fun, an excercise in determination, but what I like most is it's a fun connector with people - you share your results each day, see their results and nothing else needs to be said. Your garden walk is lovely and a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I succumbed to Wordle several days ago. So far I have always managed to finish it. For the first couple of days I only noticed that there was a 5 letter word challenge and then I noticed there were 5,6 and 7 letter word challenges. One thing I like about it is once you solve the puzzle that is it for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been playing Wordle. I really appreciate that you can only play once per day. A friend sent me a picture of a knitted World board, if I can find it I’ll share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you knit the collar flat you can add a button and buttonhole. The the collar will be generous, with extra room at the gap to help get over the head, but snug up nicely around his neck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same suggestion as Phyllis. Unpick part of one of the shoulder bind offs and then add a buttonhole and button.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wordle. I've played a couple of times, but I prefer the New York Times's Spelling Bee. Wordle is either you get the word or you don't, with the Spelling Bee you're almost guaranteed at least limited success.

    ReplyDelete