Wednesday, November 16, 2022

 

A fine day, but distinctly cold. C. came and we got over to the garden, where I sat for a while as she circumnavigated. It was early. The sun hadn’t reached the garden yet. I thought of the winter when my husband’s sister was dying – C.’s mother. The streets from here to her house run north-south and every journey was an ordeal of dazzling, blinding sunshine straight in one’s eyes. My eyes – he had given up driving by then.

 

Much of the rest of the day was spent in the kitchen (where it’s warm) with the cats. I got quite a bit of knitting done, but Perdita got to sleep on it for quite a while, too. The armholes are getting closer. I feel things will go faster once I get there, although there is no reason why that should be.

 

Wordle: This was a tough one, although I can’t quite see why. Ketki and I and Theo and Thomas all needed six. Mark was the star, with four. Alexander had five. Daughter-Rachel, Roger, and Granddaughter-Rachel all failed. We’ve never had so catastrophic a word – not even EPOXY.

 

Yesterday’s word was SNARL, and the excitement was that several of us (see yesterday) guessed SNARK which Wordle accepted. Surely it is an invention of Lewis Carroll’s, although that is nothing to hold against it. The only other possibility which has occurred to me so far is SNARE and by that stage in the game most if not all Wordlers would have eliminated E.

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:19 PM

    I wonder if it might have also accepted snarf (to eat quickly) - luckily I didn’t try that. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:28 PM

    It's Mary Lou - just to say my comments don't seem to be showing up yesterday and today. Previously, I posted I recall watching that series, which of course, was history to me! I thought of you today, Jean, when I saw this article in the NYTimes: Your Cat Might Not Be Ignoring You When You Speak. “Unlike with dogs, cat behavior is difficult to study, which is part of why humans understand them less.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/12/science/cat-talking-owners-voice-dog.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar2:27 AM

    Chilly despite the sun here in MD. I like my old wrap-around sunglasses which fit over my regular spectacles and cover the sides as well as the front. Congratulations on the knitting. Yokes seem faster to me, maybe because they are often worked flat so it's half as much to be done.

    ReplyDelete